Market - strange?

weezyrider

Jul 29, 2011
I've got market installed and working on the 7024. Market does have it listed as a TMO device, and I can only send from the computer.

The weird thing:
I managed to find the APK for Astro Tools. I sideloaded it, and it works. I also have it on the Galaxy Phone, and Market is telling me that Astro Tools will NOT work on the Coby. Yet Astro is working the same on the Coby 7024 and the phone. What criteria is Market using? The app was pay for when I downloaded it. It's free now.
In fact, Market on the Coby only shows paid for apps and not all of them. I can't get to the free ones.

Thanks,
Weezy

subtotal

Sep 29, 2011
the market seems to have an internal compatibility listing, we're not certain on what all of the criteria are, but it can be a little off sometimes

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
If you are using the latest 3.x Market version, it seems that setting the LCD density to 160 enables you to see many more apps. You can do this editing a file in your root directory (init.smdkv210.rc, root isn't needed) or using a freeware apk from Market (they may need root to make it permanent tho). After you change it, clear Market data and restart it.

weezyrider

Jul 29, 2011
I'll check that out. Now another weirdie. I got fed up with Amazon Market, and uninstalled the app. Adobe Reader won't function w/o Amazon Market! Adobe is a different company so WTH? I managed to get Beam Reader on the tablet from Market, so no big loss.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Apps purchased via an store (Amazon, for instance) are "linked" to the store with your signature (it serves to the purpose to avoid apk piracy), so if you remove the store apk those apps will stop working...

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
I'll check that out. Now another weirdie. I got fed up with Amazon Market, and uninstalled the app. Adobe Reader won't function w/o Amazon Market! Adobe is a different company so WTH? I managed to get Beam Reader on the tablet from Market, so no big loss.

Just install official market version.

weezyrider

Jul 29, 2011
Adobe reader is free and there's links to it all over the place. Amazon is getting a little out of hand with free apps. They still send a billing notice with .00 charged. Now does anyone know of a blogging app that will run wifi, web only on the Coby? I can't use blogger - can't send sms on tablet.

Pickupman66

Oct 2, 2011
So I changed teh screen density but still cannot get the new market to work. wont even let me get facebook. I uninstall the market and put on teh 2.3.6 and it re-updates it instantly. how do I disable the updating?

jetmechal

Oct 4, 2011
Hello there I have the same tablet!

Got Market working without rooting see posts on "http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-2-technical/13769-fully-updated-android-market-w-o-any-root-just-drop-install-apk-70-80-1024-a-6.html#post136380"

As in my post the only problem so far is that I can't install Canadian Apps which may not be a problem for you!

weezyrider

Jul 29, 2011
If you can totally access marketing on the tablet, there is an option not to update in the market app itself online. At least it comes up on the SGS4G phone. You might have to find a reputable site with the apks.

Pickupman66

Oct 2, 2011
downloaded the ones found around here. I could not find the update choice in the market itself. (at least on the settings page). I like the new market as I have it on my Captivate because of the books and movie availability. just wish it would work on my Kyros.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
downloaded the ones found around here. I could not find the update choice in the market itself. (at least on the settings page). I like the new market as I have it on my Captivate because of the books and movie availability. just wish it would work on my Kyros.

If you install version 3.1.x of Market then it should update itself to the latest version (3.1.5 as of now). Then if you can't see all apps or download then, you will have to change LCD density to 160, clear Market data, reboot and open it again, it seems to work most of the times if not always. But it still seems to detect your location (IP based?) and shows the apps/prices related to your actual location.