Problems installing SlideIt keyboard on my NC

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
SlideIt won't install successfully through the Market, so I found and downloaded the APK, sideloaded to my NC's SDcard (the root), then tried to move it to system/app. However, it won't move (or c/p), and I've tried Astro and File Manager. Astro just won't move it, and File Manager gives an 'insufficient permissions' error.

Do I need a different file management app?

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Why you're not able install slideit through market ? waht error you are getting ?
Do one thing, connect NC via USB and copy the apk to SD Card, then use software like App Installer and see.

and also make sure that, in Nook Color Tools, "Installing Non-Market Apps" is checked.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
SlideIt won't install successfully through the Market, so I found and downloaded the APK, sideloaded to my NC's SDcard (the root), then tried to move it to system/app. However, it won't move (or c/p), and I've tried Astro and File Manager. Astro just won't move it, and File Manager gives an 'insufficient permissions' error.

Do I need a different file management app?

Yes, you need a file manager that will allow you to change the system/app folder permission to Read/Write (R/W). Root Explorer is what I use, it's a paid app but well worth it for the simplicity of just such a task.

Alternatively, you can use ADB. With the NC connected you can manually change the folder permissions (mount/unmount) and copy and push, etc. If you're not comfy with ADB, go for Root Explorer.

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
Thanks much, faceman, Root Explorer looks like a bargain to me if it'll get the job done that easily. :)

@avi, installing through market leads to a msg to install the app manually, and installing it from root using an installer app leads to a dead end; no error msg, but it just doesn't work.

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
OK, Root Explorer moved the file (yay)...now how do I install it? Do I use an app installer, or use the 'extract' option in Root Explorer, or...?

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
No try using an App Installer.

I have Astro File Explorer and it does the job for me :)

discothan

Feb 16, 2011
No try using an App Installer.

I have Astro File Explorer and it does the job for me :)

This is funny to me. Astro won't move the file because of its lack of Root Permissions, but it will install the app.
Why can't someone just merge the two apps.