MID9742 with MOBIZ V2 ROM - wrong time

OlivierS

Jul 27, 2013
I installed Mobiz V2 rom a couple of days ago with help from vampirefo but today I noticed that the time was wrong. The settings were:

Automatic date & time
Automatic time zone

The time was wrong but the timezone was correct (GMT+01:00, Greenwich Mean Time). I'm in London, UK.

The time is not out by a whole number of hours. For instance at the moment it is 02:10 am in London and the time on my tablet says 05:00.

Is this a known problem? Is there a known solution?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Not a problem that I've encountered running Mobiz. Just disable the automatic time setting feature in Settings>Date & Time and you can set the clock.

OlivierS

Jul 27, 2013
Just disable the automatic time setting feature in Settings>Date & Time and you can set the clock.
Yep, that's the obvious workaround: set time manually and deal with the drift... only the drift is not a couple of seconds here or there. In half a day it lost 2 hours and 3 minutes!

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Yep, that's the obvious workaround: set time manually and deal with the drift... only the drift is not a couple of seconds here or there. In half a day it lost 2 hours and 3 minutes!

My time seems to be just fine.

OlivierS

Jul 27, 2013
My time seems to be just fine.
Just me, then. I wonder what I've done/not done.

I suppose the next workaround would be to remove the time display from the notification area, because showing 4:57 when it's actually 12:21 is not useful. But I Don't know how to do this.

Edit: Having the wrong time and not showing it is not such a great idea. For instance the facebook app, with a time lagging by several hours, tells me everything happened 'just now'.

I have just rebooted and am given the real time now. Connected by USB to a laptop. I wonder if this makes a difference. Will keep an eye on the whole thing.

Last edited:

OlivierS

Jul 27, 2013
Well, I'm puzzled and delighted!

I had a backup taken before installing anything, in other words with the original ROM, no root, no Play Store. Let's call this backup A.

After installing Mobiz I took another backup. Let's call it B.

I decided to investigate a bit more so first I took another backup - C.

The problem I had was that the date and time drifted heavily everytime the MID9742 went to sleep. If it was just woken up the drift would continue. If it was rebooted (and in WiFi range) it would acquire the time and date correctly but then would start drifting again if it went to sleep for any length of time.

Firstly I restored backup B. If it had worked it would have proved that it was something I installed after installing Mobiz that was causing the problem. But no, the problem was still there.

So I restored backup A. The problem was still there, exactly the same. I came to the conclusion that it must be a hardware problem, like when the BIOS battery went on a PC and the date/time got lost. I thought I'd have to live with it. After all I paid less than £50 for it, including delivery.

So I restored backup C and thought I would be back to the status quo ante (i.e. the state that was before). But nope. The problem's vanished. The tablet may go to sleep for as long as needed, it can wake up in a strange place with no WiFi and the time and date are correct!

I'm puzzled. How is that possible? I restored the backup I took when it didn't work!

But, of course, I'm delighted.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
No ideal, as long as it works now, all is well.

Sent from my SPH-D710 Android Phone

telbat

Sep 26, 2013
I had a similar problem. I think it was related to installing the Jorte calendar app, but I'm not sure. Time would drift hours in a day. One day I put the tablet in my backpack upside down - the buttons must have gotten pressed because when I took it out it was in "Safe Mode". I cycled power and the time has been dead on ever since. Go figure...
Coby MID9742 stock