Model Number Confusion?

robdroid

May 4, 2011
Seems to be many versions of the Galaxy Tab available: WiFi-only, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, At&T, P1000 GSM unlocked, P1000, P1010, etc....

The Galaxy Tab I bought from Best Buy is the Verizon Wireless model # SCHI800BKV
Here's the link: Samsung - Galaxy Tab 3G (Verizon Wireless) - SCHI800BKV
Ran Quadrant Standard Edition on it yesterday- scored 1010 stock, System Info reports it has the more powerful PowerVR SGX540 GPU rather than the slower SGX530 GPU found in the wifi only version. Supports Bluetooth 3.0.

So my question is.... when I read posts here and on XDA everybody refers to their pad as a P1000, or a P1010 (wi-fi only version). I never see "I800BKV" mentioned as the model like my model? It's very confusing.
When looking for roms, kernels, etc... which model do I look for in this case?

Thanks for any help given!

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
model numbers i know of

P1010- newer unit, launched Mar 2011, 16GB Ram
GT-P1000, - international version
SKT: SHW-M180S
Verizon: SCH-I800
Sprint: SPH-P100
AT&T: SGH-I987
NTT DoCoMo: SC-01C
T-Mobile: SGH-t849

robdroid

May 4, 2011
model numbers i know of

P1010- newer unit, launched Mar 2011, 16GB Ram
GT-P1000, - international version
SKT: SHW-M180S
Verizon: SCH-I800
Sprint: SPH-P100
AT&T: SGH-I987
NTT DoCoMo: SC-01C
T-Mobile: SGH-t849
Thanks, so there's even more versions than I originally thought.

If I understand this correctly:
-P1010 is the newer WiFi-only version but downgraded with lower end CPU and older PowerVR SGX530 GPU which maxes out at 720p for video, also BT Ver 2.1 only.
-P1000 is the original build with the Snapdragon CPU and PowerVR SGX540 GPU which supports 1080p video, BT 3.0 support, etc.

So the US Based wireless carrier backed brand 7" Galaxy Tab variants (CDMA:Verizon + Sprint and GSM:AT&T, T-Mobile) are all based on the P1000 hardware build but no SIM Card slot and can only be used as a data device not a phone (without VIOP workarounds)?

The International version P1000 is GSM and has a SIM Card slot (Y/N?) and can be used as a phone too?

I see posts like this "Here it is, JQ1, Gingerbread for the Galaxy Tab !" [stock rom][2.3.3] p1000xxjq1 p1000xxjq1 p1000xxjpz - xda-developers and have no idea if it will work on my Verizon Galaxy Tab SCH-I800 because the post states "[stock rom][2.3.3] p1000xxjq1 p1000xxjq1 p1000xxjpz"???

The big question:
Is it worth returning the $429 Verizon Galaxy Tab SCH-I800 and ordering the $499 unlocked international P1000 Galaxy Tab because of the wider availability of "alternate" firmware?

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
well the unlock one might be better

But this might be of interest - verizon offers certified pre-owned 3G tabs for $149 +20/mo 1GB - really good deal IMO - i bought mine a couple of weeks back, it looks pretty new and have been happy with it so far

Thanks, so there's even more versions than I originally thought.

If I understand this correctly:
-P1010 is the newer WiFi-only version but downgraded with lower end CPU and older PowerVR SGX530 GPU which maxes out at 720p for video, also BT Ver 2.1 only.
-P1000 is the original build with the Snapdragon CPU and PowerVR SGX540 GPU which supports 1080p video, BT 3.0 support, etc.

So the US Based wireless carrier backed brand 7" Galaxy Tab variants (CDMA:Verizon + Sprint and GSM:AT&T, T-Mobile) are all based on the P1000 hardware build but no SIM Card slot and can only be used as a data device not a phone (without VIOP workarounds)?

The International version P1000 is GSM and has a SIM Card slot (Y/N?) and can be used as a phone too?

I see posts like this "Here it is, JQ1, Gingerbread for the Galaxy Tab !" [stock rom][2.3.3] p1000xxjq1 p1000xxjq1 p1000xxjpz - xda-developers and have no idea if it will work on my Verizon Galaxy Tab SCH-I800 because the post states "[stock rom][2.3.3] p1000xxjq1 p1000xxjq1 p1000xxjpz"???

The big question:
Is it worth returning the $429 Verizon Galaxy Tab SCH-I800 and ordering the $499 unlocked international P1000 Galaxy Tab because of the wider availability of "alternate" firmware?

robdroid

May 4, 2011
well the unlock one might be better

But this might be of interest - verizon offers certified pre-owned 3G tabs for $149 +20/mo 1GB - really good deal IMO - i bought mine a couple of weeks back, it looks pretty new and have been happy with it so far
Thanks,
I'm seriously considering returning the Verizon branded GT to Best Buy for the unlocked international model from Amazon just for wider FW availability. I'm in for $430, guess another $70 won't hurt too much :eek:

PensivePundIT

Mar 24, 2011
Does any one know which models have gorilla glass? The reason I ask is an identical model to mine had a nasty gash on the screen at the store and marked down.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Android Tablet Forum

mtwd

Apr 27, 2011
Just to add to the model numbers that are out there, I have a GT-P1000T, I assume the final T is for Telstra, the carrier I bought it from.

It does have a sim slot. It can be used for calls and SMS etc. Carriers here cannot lock any phones, once you are out of contract you are free to get a sim from any supplier you choose. I immediately called Optus after buying it and had the settings sent so I could take the sim from my phone to use 3g data on the tab when I wanted to surf the net.

One advantage of getting the international model is that it is the only way to get Zinio on an android. This is a magazine publisher that allows you to subscribe to e mags to read on your PC, Ipad or Galaxy tab but only if you have Readers Hub. It appears that the US carriers have removed readers hub in favour of Kindle (which anyone can get free anyway), readers hub includes Kobo, Zinio and Press display, a newpaper reader.

Last edited:

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
As you can see from my signature, I have a T-Mobile tab and I can confirm that it does have a sim card slot. I have also used the WIFI P1010 model and can confirm it is more sluggish than the 3G wireless carrier models, especially when it comes to screen redraws with numerous app icons. Also, the P1010 version has no out of the box HID Bluetooth peripheral support (BT keyboards and mice) unlike the T-Mobile & AT&T Tabs (Verizon & Sprint Tabs also have BT HID support disabled).

Vic
Sent from my SGH-T849 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

blaz

May 11, 2011
Just to add to the model numbers that are out there, I have a GT-P1000T, I assume the final T is for Telstra, the carrier I bought it from.

It does have a sim slot. It can be used for calls and SMS etc. Carriers here cannot lock any phones, once you are out of contract you are free to get a sim from any supplier you choose. I immediately called Optus after buying it and had the settings sent so I could take the sim from my phone to use 3g data on the tab when I wanted to surf the net.

One advantage of getting the international model is that it is the only way to get Zinio on an android. This is a magazine publisher that allows you to subscribe to e mags to read on your PC, Ipad or Galaxy tab but only if you have Readers Hub. It appears that the US carriers have removed readers hub in favour of Kindle (which anyone can get free anyway), readers hub includes Kobo, Zinio and Press display, a newpaper reader.

And the Rogers Canada model is GT-P1000R, confirming your assumption. We also get the Reader's Hub and apps therein. I'm truly impressed with the readability of the screen. And it has the sim and microSD slots, but Rogers doesn't support the phone.

Not having anything Bluetoothy, I can't tell whether it has disabled parts of Bluetooth or not (as some American carriers have).

CLSmith

Jan 14, 2011
So, if i'm understanding this thread correctly, i have a Verizon SCH-I800. If i want to root or change to a custom ROM, i need to find threads and downloads for this modle# , correct? Or can i use P1000?

sent from my rooted Nookcolor

mewgirl

Jul 21, 2013
I am Googling trying to figure out how to find the model number for my tablet (which needs a new screen/can't access the display), and I see "I am switching for the unlocked version for better FW access." Which I can only assume is a typo fo WF meaning WiFi, and if so how would a different version have "better WiFi access," other then by having a better WiFi antenna or card which would have nothing to do with whether someone is giving you full internet access?