NC Questions

steveb_123

Mar 21, 2011
Hey Guys,
Looking to buy a NC, root it to 2.2 / 2.3 as a replacement for my ipad.
With rooting a NC ( im coming from apple ), does rooting it move the custom rom to the internal 8gb memory and then I can throw in a 32gb micro card and run music / movies off that ?
I see alot of you have twitter / twitdroid - do any of those apps have streaming user feeds ?

GaWd

Feb 18, 2011
You have it correct. You root the Nook, and until or if you turn back to stock, it will boot into the rooted software; freeing up your expansion card for storage of books, movies, MP3s and whatnot.

Don't know about Twitter, not my thing.

steveb_123

Mar 21, 2011
I know that the NC comes in at 800mhz, but I see afew of you ramping them up to 1ghz. Is that a software hack that can do that ?
If anyone does have twitter and it streams that would be great to know, as i have it running all day on the iPad or when i watch sports to see others with #'s.

jyams

Feb 20, 2011
you can increase the clock / processor speed to 1.1ghz safely using the overclocking kernal found in the "technical" threads here. If you use the Cyanogen modifications known as CM7 (android 2.3), it includes an overclocking set built in up to 950ghz, which many are having very good results with. If you use a Froyo (android 2.2) found in the Phiremod ROM, you simply flash the overclocking kernal at the time you flash the rom, then use an app called SetCPU to set the processor speed and operating profiles for battery management. This works well also. I have used both. I followed the directions on this website and at XDA-Developers to root my Nook to Phiremod v5.1 ROM (Gingerbread Android 2.3). It worked without problems and I am extremely pleased with this ROM. Battery consumption is very reasonable and the apps are stable. Still some issues with YouTube, but video is getting close to being solved. Overall, the slick animations and flow of this ROM is very impressive to me.

My main advice is to read thoroughly the forums here and at XDA-Developers. Follow the instructions slowly and you shouldn't have any trouble. I was new to rooting two weeks ago. Since obtaining my NookColor, I have rooted it as described above, rooted my Sprint EVO phone, and now use my Nook everyday tethered to my phone via wifi to read, work, check email, tweet, monitor LinkedIn and Facebook, and keep up with all my news feeds. I highly recommend the Pulse Reader app and GReader for managing your news feeds.

You asked about tweet / twitter management and you can do it effortlessly using the various apps available on the Market and any wifi connection.

Hope this helps

steveb_123

Mar 21, 2011
Cheers Jyams,
pretty much everything i was after you answered. Many thanks.
It rooting close to universal (pc/mac) as I don't have regular access to a Pc machine.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
slightly different steps but yes it is. You should be just fine with a mac for the most part (ocassionally a pc does make it easier though)