Need help before I buy a tablet - what can I do on it?

Chramesly

Sep 14, 2011
Hi there! I love the forum. It has been very handy in trying to work out the things I can and cannot do if I get what I currently have my eye on - the Asus Transformer (32gb with Keyboard docking). I've not used Android before, just iOS on the phone and not particularly happy with it. Mainly because of iTunes, and just how constricted it is.

There are a couple of things that I would like to know if I could do:
  1. The Transformer doesn't have 3G, so is there a way to access documents, be they from DropBox (preferable) or Google Docs while offline?
  2. Can I use some kind of file manager to access files? I have all my music/videos organised by folder, rather than ID3 tag.
  3. Back to DropBox - I have video lectures up there. Any way I could temporarily save them to the tablet?
  4. I love my Google Chrome, how everything just syncs (bookmarks, history, saved passwords) - is this information capable of being shared with the tablet?
Any help in this would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance :D

- Chramesly

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
1. You can locally cache your files
2. Yes, any of the file managers will work, but google music does not require an ID3 tag, it can parse sub-directories in a file structure for playback
3. Yes, I would also look at SugarSync which is what I use for items I need local copies of
4. Look at Chrome to Phone, which allows for sending pages and links from your desktop to your tablet.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello Chramesly, welcome to the forum. Sounds as though the Transformer will do what you want it to.

Chramesly

Sep 14, 2011
1. You can locally cache your files
2. Yes, any of the file managers will work, but google music does not require an ID3 tag, it can parse sub-directories in a file structure for playback
3. Yes, I would also look at SugarSync which is what I use for items I need local copies of
4. Look at Chrome to Phone, which allows for sending pages and links from your desktop to your tablet.

Thank you! That's all amazing, and very helpful. And thankyou to Spider as well for your input. I believe I shall get myself one of these items. I was worried that I'd end up with an iPad 2, as I've not had anything to throw back at my mate who loves his iPad 2.