New - need help deciding on tablet

Feb 28, 2012
Hi,

I am looking for advice on getting an android tablet. I am getting lost in all the tech speak and the number of different tablets coming out. I have been using a Apple phone but dislike apple for its shutdown approach and will be changing over this shortly as well. But I also do have major concerns that if I buy an android tablet - I will not be able to update firmware and therefore will not be able to get the latest applications.

Here is what I am looking for:-
  • Internet
  • Games & Music
  • Ability to be able to update my own website
  • Ability to watch TV or films when my partner is on COD!
  • Ability to upgrade firmware
Please can someone let me know what is best out there for me? I don't mind waiting a few months and cost is not a problem. I would rather get something that works rather than sometime which is cheaper that I won't use.
Thanks
Badgerbluebadger

Tanzanite

Jan 14, 2012
Hi Badger

Internet, Games and Music should be supported by any Tablet. If you are going to use 3G you might want to have a tablet with Buillt in SIM slot.

If you use a web based interface you should be able to update your website as well.

Movies is not a problem with most Tablets but TV is. The only tablet that I am aware of that have a TV Tuner is KDPad w1107. This also has Dual unlocked SIM slots.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Badger, welcome to the forum. I'm moving your thread to the Android Tablet Discussions section for you. That's the best place on the forum for "shopping" advice when looking for a new tablet, and more people are likely to join the discussion and try to help you there. Good luck!

biking4jesus

Aug 27, 2011
Badger,
If you want to watch TV shows off the web (network sites, Hulu, etc), most tablets with a fast processor can handle it. You only need a tuner if you want to watch 'live' programming off the air.
Most of the top tier tablet manufactures provide firmware and OS upgrades as needed. Of course, eventually the hardware you get won't support new applications.
There are several other factors you should consider about your new tablet. For example:
  • Screen size (7, 8, 9, or 10 inches)
  • Cameras (front, rear, both)
  • Speaker quality
  • I/O capability (HDMI, full-size USB, Bluetooth etc.)
  • Internal storage (both RAM & 'SD card')
  • External storage (SD or microSD)
Everyone's needs are different, but when you decide what you want in each of these areas, you will probably find 2 or 3 tablets that will meet your needs. Then go to the forums for those models and get some input from their users.

- Conrad
Acer A100/A500

Feb 28, 2012
9-10 inch screen size
Not worried about cameras - will be still having a mobile!
Good quality speakers
On icecream sandwich - so I can get access to new apps
USB or sd so I can transfer information, music and photos
32g storage at least -but maybe have the ability to have external storage.

Feb 28, 2012
Has this not be replaced by the Samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0? I am getting even more confused now? :-( also this isn't on the icecream?