New Owner of 2 Kyros 8024's - My impressions.

berniejr72

Dec 13, 2011
Just wanted to take a moment to give thanks for all of the great information within this forum. I've been lurking for some time now as I've been researching some tablets for my 3 daughters (ages 14, 12, and 5). I work in the IT field and I own 2 android tablets myself, so I am familiar with a lot of the possibilities out here but the forum gave me better insight of particulars with some of the lesser known tablets such as Coby.

My oldest 2 girls had a very specific list of wants on a device:

Internet
Netflix
YouTube
Music
Angry Birds
Fruit Ninja
Video chat via Oovoo/Skype
Facebook
Twitter
Kindle App

While my youngest just wants to be able to use the Kid's Mode app by Zoodles along with Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja

After a couple of months of research I settled on the 8024 for my oldest two, and was able to pick it up for $149.99 shipped via Amazon. The biggest parts of my decision were based on price (I wanted to stay under $200, although $150 was ideal) and the availability of great support via forums and custom Rom's such as Nefarious Bread for the 8024.

Well I got both delivered on Friday and spent the weekend testing the units out and I must say that I am very impressed with my purchase.

I was able to flash to Nefarious Bread v 1.2 in less than five minutes and after that connect to Wi-Fi, log into the market and other sources and load all of the software they want and everything works flawlessly! This Rom for the 8024 really makes this a great device, especially when you consider the cost. The only app that I thought wouldn’t work (because I couldn’t find confirmation that it would) was Oovoo. Well I located the APK and side loaded it and it worked without any problems for video chat!

Even though it has a resistive screen (10000% better than my old Apad ver 1.6/Donut), and the camera quality is better than I thought and more than capable for video chat purposes. The overall speed and responsiveness is great. Watched Netflix and YouTube videos without issue, played games without a problem (well you can't pinch to zoom in angry birds, but o well), Facebook, Kindle and everything else works great!

All in all my girls will be ecstatic and so will I as they will not have to fight over who uses my Moto Xoom all of the time, LOL. Now I just have to figure out which of the lower end tablets I will get for my 5 year old. Initially I was looking at getting her the Leapfrog Leap Pad but due to recent shortages, I’m not sure if I can even find that one. Even more the lowest price is $99 and they’ve been selling for as much as $250 so for those prices I figured I might as well just get a full-fledged tablet.

So again just wanted to post and send a great big thank you to all of the developers and contributors of this forum that provide excellent input and support that really make these devices something special. Hopefully with my years of IT and electronics tinkering, I will be able to give back and help others along the line.

afterlife2

Sep 24, 2011
This sounds great congrats. I'm sure your kids will be elated. I never heard of the Nefarious Bread. Is there there a easy how to for the Nefarious Bread? Video perhaps?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Thanks for posting that, should be helpful to others who are getting that tablet.:cool: