7022 out of the box impressions

m3nd1n0

Aug 20, 2011
I have read about this tablet for quite some time now since I was in the market for an inexpensive but rather robust slate. Yesterday, I finally took the plunge and bought the 7022 from TRU for $179.00. Before this purchase, I used the Archos 5 IT with the 500 meg drive running Donut. My wife also owns the IPAD2.

Pros:

-The build quality on the 7022 is good. I like the industrial look and feel and the weight makes it feel like a a much more expensive tablet.
-The OS boots fast and navigating around it is quick. This is probably due to the fast processor, 512M RAM, and the relatively new OS
-Market installation was painless thanks to the folks here
-Netflix, Kindle, Dolphin, Angry Birds Rio, Dropbox all work without issues
-Wifi performance is okay
-Capacitive screen is works great
-Multimedia playback is smooth and without issues
-The battery charges quickly

Cons:

-Wifi performance degrades after the device wakes up from sleep (known issue).
-The screen brightness at its highest level is not bright enough
-The speaker on the back is weak
-The screen auto rotate is too sensitive
-Battery on full charge does not last very long. I estimate 2 hours on full charge with brightness set to high and regular internet usage which in my case is a combination of random browsing, video streaming and app downloading

I have yet to try the HDMI output since I have not purchased the cable yet. Overall, I have been impressed so far. Despite the CON's I have listed, you cannot beat this device for the price. It is a far better product than the Archos I have for sure which was more expensive. I can't wait for the Honeycomb port to this tablet.

Enjoy

maylea

Jul 22, 2011
I am getting a lot longer battery life than 2 hours. I have brightness set all the way up also due to the low brightness of the screen. I have airplane mode on. I have advanced wifi installed to keep wifi from sleeping which helps with the speed. And my daughter watches her videos and plays her games off and on all day. My battery is lasting 5 hours with heavy use and all day with light use. Maybe you have a bad battery? Anyway wanted to let you know what I get out of my battery in case you want to exchange for another before that crappy TRU return policy is up.

All in all, after three months still happy with the Coby! Except for the low volume:(

m3nd1n0

Aug 20, 2011
I will monitor the battery life a bit longer. Recently, I read about the airplane mode + wifi trick so i have downloaded the Quick Setting app and implemented this change. The advance wifi app sounds like a fix for the speed issue but I think it will further shorten the battery life because it will keep the wifi on all the time. What I am doing is simply turning off my coby when I am not using it. The boot up time is quick anyway. If the battery life continues to be sub-par, I will return it and get a replacement.

Thanks