New User Looking for App and General Advice

Fyrefly

Aug 30, 2012
Hello all! I'm an engineering graduate student that finally has come to the critical point of kill an entire forest to get copies of all the pdfs I want to go through, or buy a tablet.

I'm planning on picking up the 32 gig Asus Transformer 700 Infinity this evening. I have a simple flip phone as I don't use it much and therefore have never dealt with a mobile OS before. I'm hoping the some of you wouldn't mind answer some newbie questions and possibly point me in the right direction with the sort of apps I need to load on this thing and overall new-product housekeeping for maximum productivity. Since my choice of tablet isn't exactly crucial to what I'm asking I'm hoping you'll all forgive me for putting this in a more general forum.

The main thing this tablet is going to be used for is reading very large .pdfs - hundreds of pages long. Playing around with them in the store I noticed the default Adobe Reader app has some highlighting features built in. I would ideally like to get a stylus and do a combination of highlighting and handwritten notes on my documents as well as bookmark functionality if possible. Does anyone have any experience with a better app than the Adobe one?

Also, what kind of things tend to come standard on a tablet? I get the impression from the site that Asus has a web browser, their note taking app and such built in but am I getting things like Youtube and Adobe on my own? What about things like calendar functionality? I would imagine Android would by design have to play well with Google calendars.

I see Jelly Bean is the newest version of Android. Mine will be coming with Ice Cream Sandwich. Should I be updating that right off and if so I'm assuming it's a little more involved than just hitting a "Windows update" analog? Are there major advantages? Is there a cost involved? I'm seeing that I might not be able to get Flash working without Jelly Bean but that could be me getting confused trying to glean info from lots of forum posts.

Can you only do one thing at a time on tablets or does that vary depending on the app? I was thinking when I'm not at work I might enjoy having it in front of the TV and run an IRC app of some kind. But if I switch to a browser would that disconnect my session?

And I guess overall does anyone want to share any "must-haves?" Thank you so much for reading through this and I look forward to your tips!

Musing

Aug 27, 2012
Fyrefly, I recommend Gizmos for the best free android apps.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-android-apps.htm?page=0,1#Page-Index

I recently purchased the Asus Transformer Prime tf201 so I'm still in the learning mode. It is my understanding that Jelly Bean has not been released for for my Asus yet but it is registered, so I suppose I will be notified when it is available. There are others on the forum with lots of experience with tablets, so I'm sure all of your questions will be answered in due time.

moloisid

Sep 1, 2012
Hi. I just bought the s7 slim tablet and i struggle with the wifi....
each time i wand to browse it says no network connections.
What should i do?