New Android User Looking For App Advice

Andy625

Jun 27, 2018
This is my first post having only recently purchased a Lenovo Tab 7 tablet. I've been a Blackberry user for the last 10 yrs, and would like some pointers regarding basic Android use. I'm looking to replae my Z30 with a basic phone and Lenovo Android tablet. Trying to use the tablet for the things I used my phone for, and the main issues so far are:

What would be the best mail app for non-google email? At the moment I'm trying maildroid. I have a runbox email, as well as gmail account, but am trying to move away from google for everything.

Is it possible to use an app store thats not google play?
What would be the best office app that's not covered in ads?
Best music app (ad free hopefully)?
Best calendar app.

I don't mind paying for apps if they're worth it.

I'm trying not to use google for everything, and am wondering if I've made the best choice of device seeing as Android is a google os.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
  1. Best mail app: Gmail. It works with my Yahoo accounts without a fuss. If you really don't want to use Gmail, download Microsoft Outlook.
  2. Yes. Amazon is the best known. FDroid is good if you want to focus on open source software.
  3. Microsoft Office. Your tablet is smaller than 10", and thus you are able to both create and edit docs. No ads at all. The only caveat is that Word and Excel are downloaded and installed separately.
  4. VLC handles music though it's better known for its video capabilities. Shuttle+ or JetAudio are good choices, but you'll have to look at the Play Store and see for yourself. I stream my music, and thus can't really give you a good recommendation. For streaming audio I use Google Play Music, but Spotify pretty much dominates that space.
  5. Jorte, but it's highly recommended you pay for the pro version. I stopped using it in favor of Google Calendar because the offers became too intrusive. I never saw an ad on the free version of Jorte, but I also block ads.

If your issue is with Google's aggregation of data about you, there are honestly far worse actors out there than Google or even Facebook. Your cell phone carrier for one. At least Google and Facebook give you a chance to see what they've collected on you.

Andy625

Jun 27, 2018
Thanks for the reply, thats all very interesting. I'll give the apps you recommend a try, although I already came to the same conclusion re Microsoft word and Excel. I can't believe they're free, when they seem to look and perform so well.