newbie needs help downloading apps

m005k

Dec 25, 2011
Bought my wife a Craig Tablet. She want to play cards on it. So far I have hit a wall trying to download an app for it. Using the amazon site it says I don't have a phone associated with the account so I can't download anything. What am I doing wrong?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello, welcome to Android Tablets. Glad you decided to join us as a member of the forum. I'm moving your thread to the Craig Tablets section for you to see if anyone there can help you out. Good luck!

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
No your not doing anything wrong. Too get apps theres afew ways to go about this matter.

1. Root it for the market - Most tablet kill the wifi. Some dont kill it and some it does.
2. Google - download apk files. I used to use apktop.com - not files will work on craig 2.2.1
3. Goto slideme.org and install that app market. - i think it sucks.

Sent from my Craig CMP738B using Android Market and Android Tablet Forum App. Rooted, Overclocked 1.13ghz CPU Store 1678, HoneyComb Theme, CaffeineMark and CPUboost

Last edited:

rex2011

Dec 4, 2011
I find that the easiest way to add software (or remove it, for that matter) is to connect to laptop/PC via USB cord and simply drag downloaded software from computer to tablet's "download" folder. Then use the apk installer on the Craig to install it.

Do NOT root your Craig. IMHO there is absolutely no reason to bother with this nonsense and wipe out the wifi -- the only reason to have a tablet in the first place!

I found that simply reading the instruction manual gave me the info I needed to connect via USB, etc.

Good luck!

AngryDaddy

Jan 4, 2012
Same here. Any app I try to get wants a phone number and it will send it there instead. When I tried to get the Adobe Flash, Adobe detected the device as an Apple product. So no Flash for this device. This device does nothing but browse You Tube

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
I find that the easiest way to add software (or remove it, for that matter) is to connect to laptop/PC via USB cord and simply drag downloaded software from computer to tablet's "download" folder. Then use the apk installer on the Craig to install it.

Do NOT root your Craig. IMHO there is absolutely no reason to bother with this nonsense and wipe out the wifi -- the only reason to have a tablet in the first place!

I found that simply reading the instruction manual gave me the info I needed to connect via USB, etc.

Good luck!

Wifi problem has been fixed. The problem was Craig put out the same model of the tablet with 2 different Wifi Hardware. RalinkTech and RealTek hardware. Rallink is in the older CMP738B and RealTek in the newer ones.

rex2011

Dec 4, 2011
I see there is some discussion that wifi "has" been fixed -- others say "has not."

Either way, rooting is pointless if you simply read the manual, download Google android apps onto PC (or SC card) and simply drag/install onto tablet.

Why bother with this "rooting" stuff when it already does what it's supposed to do...?

Don't get it.

meepinator

Jan 1, 2012
I see there is some discussion that wifi "has" been fixed -- others say "has not."

Either way, rooting is pointless if you simply read the manual, download Google android apps onto PC (or SC card) and simply drag/install onto tablet.

Why bother with this "rooting" stuff when it already does what it's supposed to do...?

Don't get it.

As for what rooting actually is, it is getting superuser access on your tablet. Think of it like the difference between a limited account and an admin account on a pc, certain things simply cannot be done without the permission of the admin account, and rooting your tablet gives you that control.

As for practicality, it makes apps easier to get, as you can have the Android marketplace directly on the tablet. Certain apps require permissions that a standard tablet does not have, so it enables the use of those apps. Plus, I have noticed that my tablet seems to be performing much better after rooting.

If you are fine with how it is now, then there is no need to root, but if you want more features and a ton more control, I'd suggest you root it.

As for wifi, it is 99% certain that it has been fixed. We discovered that Craig was using two different pieces of wifi hardware, but there are ROMs for each of them available now.