Nook Tablet 8gb or Kindle Fire?

Mar 17, 2012
I cannot seem to get a straight answer on Gamefaqs or TomsHardware. First, I'll list what I need/plan on doing and then what I don't need/don't plan on doing.

Need:
-To play AVI, MKV, MP4, etc. video files. I can stick to the supported ones if I cannot do these. But I download videos from multiple sources and I also rip my DVDs to my PC. This is one of the main reason I want the tablet.
-Play 2D and 3D games from Amazon Market/Android market or wherever the game comes from. I know I can get Amazon on the Nook Tablet and vice versa.
-want to be able to read PDF, MOBI, and EPUB all on one tablet, if possible.
-Normal web browsing, including eBay, Gamefaqs, Newegg, Youtube.

Don't Need:
Camera, GPS, Bluetooth, cloud storage, Amazon Prime( I have Netflix and my own movies and TV shows ripped).

Basically, to me the main difference is the way the tablets deal with storage. Kindle Fire doesn't have expandable memory, Nook Tablet does. If I get the KF, that renders my new 16gb microSDcard unusable. I will not have a constant wi-fi connection, so the cloud storage or the Dropbox app is useless to me. What I do not know however, is if there is a performance difference. I want to get the Nook Tablet for the expandable memory, but only if it can perform like the Fire or better in games an movies. I've seen a ton of videos on Youtube showcasing the Kindle Fire playing HD 3D games(Dead Space, Order and Chaos), but nothing on the Nook.

Any suggestions? please no other tablet suggestions.

Weebee

Dec 1, 2011
Sounds to me like you are going to need a lot of storage for your interests. That being said the Nook tablet or Nook Color will be more suited. With the Nook Color you can root it to gain even more apps and features. Plus, you'll be able to put a ton of stuff on your 16 gig sd card. The Nook tablet sounds very capable, plus, there's a moderator here that is working on getting more performance out of them.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Need:
-To play AVI, MKV, MP4, etc. video files. I can stick to the supported ones if I cannot do these. But I download videos from multiple sources and I also rip my DVDs to my PC. This is one of the main reason I want the tablet.
-Play 2D and 3D games from Amazon Market/Android market or wherever the game comes from. I know I can get Amazon on the Nook Tablet and vice versa.
-want to be able to read PDF, MOBI, and EPUB all on one tablet, if possible.
-Normal web browsing, including eBay, Gamefaqs, Newegg, Youtube.

Both will be able to do these with the right player/reader apps.

Don't Need:
Camera, GPS, Bluetooth, cloud storage, Amazon Prime( I have Netflix and my own movies and TV shows ripped).

Don't need them, won't comment.

Basically, to me the main difference is the way the tablets deal with storage. Kindle Fire doesn't have expandable memory, Nook Tablet does. If I get the KF, that renders my new 16gb microSDcard unusable.

Nook Tablet has up to 16GB internal plus your 16GB card means you have 32GB ready to go. Kindle Fire only has 8GB internal. You also have to remember the OS is going to take up about 3GB of internal memory on each device. So you have a lot more memory with the Nook Tablet plus the option of getting more SD cards to be able to swap out in the future.

What I do not know however, is if there is a performance difference. I want to get the Nook Tablet for the expandable memory, but only if it can perform like the Fire or better in games an movies. I've seen a ton of videos on Youtube showcasing the Kindle Fire playing HD 3D games(Dead Space, Order and Chaos), but nothing on the Nook.

Any suggestions? please no other tablet suggestions.

Nook Tablet and Kindle Fire have the same processor but the Nook Tablet has 1GB RAM and the Kindle Fire only has 512MB RAM (the Nook Tablet 8GB is the same as Kindle Fire price and specs wise but has the external storage option).

Roughly the performance of the two tablets is the same, with the 16 GB Nook Tablet edging out the Kindle Fire because of the RAM.

Some battery tests also indicate that the Nook Tablet lasts longer than the Kindle Fire. One additional feature that is sometimes over looked is that the Nook Tablet also has hard volume buttons and the Kindle Fire only has soft buttons. While I am generally in favor of soft buttons, the hard buttons for volume make a lot more sense than trying to go into a menu when you are watching something or playing a game.

The SD card slot also offers a lot of options for restoring, recovering and running custom ROMs from bootable SD cards. Being able to boot from an SD card makes it very very hard to brick the Nook Tablet and allows way more options in how you use and customize the device than the Fire.

Mar 17, 2012
Thank you very much. On TomsHardware, I was recommended other tablets and on Gamefaqs, everyone kept saying how wonderful Amazon Prime was, even though I had already stated I am not getting AP. These were fast and informative answers. Oh, and on Ebay I can get the Nook Tablet 16gb for less than $200 if I can find a good deal.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Thank you very much. On TomsHardware, I was recommended other tablets and on Gamefaqs, everyone kept saying how wonderful Amazon Prime was, even though I had already stated I am not getting AP. These were fast and informative answers. Oh, and on Ebay I can get the Nook Tablet 16gb for less than $200 if I can find a good deal.

By the way you don't need to have a Fire to use Amazon Prime. You can use Amazon Prime just fine from other devices if you ever decide you do want it. That is a false point in favor of the Fire.

Yes you can get a 16GB for under $200 on ebay and I actually just did the same thing. I got mine a week ago and have already rooted it. I will be trying some things out and then posting some instructions here on how to root, run a custom ROM or create a bootable SD card to run a custom ROM. There is a decent amount of development going on for the Nook Tablet though it is fairly disorganized at the moment.

JP

Mar 17, 2012
well thank you for the information. I really appreciate it and I'm definitely glad I joined the site. Looks like I will be getting the 16gb Nook Tablet. Thanks again

Alicesky

May 21, 2012
I own the Nook tablet and have found it very fast and versatile. I really appreciate the physical volume and home buttons

Droid360

Jun 17, 2012
I would say Nook, only because you can do more with it. I purchased a Nook and bought an NR Card from Amazon. The card allowed me to do more with my Nook and it basically functions like a Tablet. Just type in Nook Nr Cards in Amazon. Best thing of all, it doesn't void the warranty.

Abb0nz

Dec 31, 2010
Both will be able to do these with the right player/reader apps.
Don't need them, won't comment.

Nook Tablet has up to 16GB internal plus your 16GB card means you have 32GB ready to go. Kindle Fire only has 8GB internal. You also have to remember the OS is going to take up about 3GB of internal memory on each device. So you have a lot more memory with the Nook Tablet plus the option of getting more SD cards to be able to swap out in the future.

Nook Tablet and Kindle Fire have the same processor but the Nook Tablet has 1GB RAM and the Kindle Fire only has 512MB RAM (the Nook Tablet 8GB is the same as Kindle Fire price and specs wise but has the external storage option).

Roughly the performance of the two tablets is the same, with the 16 GB Nook Tablet edging out the Kindle Fire because of the RAM.

Some battery tests also indicate that the Nook Tablet lasts longer than the Kindle Fire. One additional feature that is sometimes over looked is that the Nook Tablet also has hard volume buttons and the Kindle Fire only has soft buttons. While I am generally in favor of soft buttons, the hard buttons for volume make a lot more sense than trying to go into a menu when you are watching something or playing a game.

The SD card slot also offers a lot of options for restoring, recovering and running custom ROMs from bootable SD cards. Being able to boot from an SD card makes it very very hard to brick the Nook Tablet and allows way more options in how you use and customize the device than the Fire.

JP, is there anything you don't know??? :D