Odd S7 behaviors

NevadaDave

Mar 2, 2011
I have recently noticed some odd things happening with my S7. It's rooted with z4root, I have Titanium and setCPU installed, but otherwise stock system. Ive noticed that occasionally when in "sleep/hibernate" mode (whatever it's called when you momentarily press the power button) the device will suddenly power up by itself, then reboot. If I suspend/hibernate, the screen will go blank, and after that, no amount of button-pressing will bring it back up. I have to remove the battery & re-boot from there before it works again.
The second item is that suddenly, I'm getting "process.android.media has unexpectedly shut down" when I use the market. This occurs when I tap to tell it to download the app. It has not seemed to make any difference what kind of app I'm getting. If I tap "Force Close", I can see that the app is installed, but I'm curious as to why this has suddenly started happening/

Joshua

Nov 28, 2010
The second item is that suddenly, I'm getting "process.android.media has unexpectedly shut down" when I use the market. This occurs when I tap to tell it to download the app. It has not seemed to make any difference what kind of app I'm getting. If I tap "Force Close", I can see that the app is installed, but I'm curious as to why this has suddenly started happening/

Im having the second issue on two different android devices I have, my S7 and my Galaxy S phone. Seems they made some recent tweaks to the market that some devices do not like. My wifes Moto Cliq 2 is not having the same issue, nor is my market enabled nook.

dublea

Feb 22, 2011
I stopped using z4root due to this. I don't have any proof it caused it or if some app with root privileges is to blame but when I started using Universal Androot it stopped. My Huawei U8150 and my S7 no longer reboot or get forced close issues.

I'd flash it back to factory or Singapore rom. Install Universal Androot, titanium, and if you want the faster speed, just install the Singapore rom. setCPU may also have been the culprit.

Triune

Nov 29, 2010
If I suspend/hibernate, the screen will go blank, and after that, no amount of button-pressing will bring it back up. I have to remove the battery & re-boot from there before it works again.

I am having this problem as well, but I did used universal to root. I suspect it is a battery issue and not a software issue. Any ideas would be of course welcomed.

dublea

Feb 22, 2011
If it were a battery issue then the unit wouldn't power on without being on the charger at all. A lot of people forget that you can take most devices today, remove the battery, attach charger, and it should be able to power on. I work at a PC repair shop and the amount of customers blaming the battery for the unit not powering on are pretty high. It's never the batter if/when it's connected to the charger.

So, to test this, I just powered off my S7 and took the battery out. I plugged it into the charger, and it powered on. It comes back from sleep even. So, if I were you, and you really think it might be the battery still, do what I just did. If you still have issues it IS the software and I'd recommend flashing it.

Just FYI also, when I first got the S7 I got hundreds of force close issues. Especially the process.android.media. And, the unit would randomly reboot, and not come back from sleep. I fixed it with flashing it, using the Singapore rom (which means you don't need setCPU) and using Universal Androot.

NevadaDave

Mar 2, 2011
OK, I'll see about doing the Singapore ROM flash & re-installing stuff and see what happens.

efidol

Dec 30, 2010
Mine was doing the same thing and huawei told me to return it, see my post about it, but before i did i did the factory reset and it remedied it... I still returned it but it did solve the problem... I have not rooted my second s7, and am having no problems

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

50cals

Jan 5, 2011
I am getting these errors also on start up I get .ACORE force close then a .GAPPS force close........ as you load into desktop.
After normal load your wifi will start to search for a signal...... then i get .GAPPS force close..... then it connects to wifi then i get .GAPPS force close again. Now im getting .MEDIA force close also... none of the music or mxzing players will even open.

Also when in the Market and you start to download anything... it gives .GAPPS and .MEDIA force close....but after hitting those the download continues fine.

I have also noticed that if you turn your wifi off.....when you turn it back on the errors start again , 2 or 3 times , but always connects fine.

Not sure what the heck is going on.... this was a fresh reload, and i redid app2sd. Everything works fine for a week close to 2 then starts doing this.....

This is the first time i've noticed the .ACORE force close error. Something weird is going on.

dublea

Feb 22, 2011
I've not had any experience with App2SD on 2.1. I've pretty much stuck to Link2SD. I'd attempt a new install and try Link2SD. It might resolve some issues.