OpenOffice editor in the works?

CenturionFive

Dec 11, 2010
Anyone know of an OpenOffice compatible editor in the works? I would like to be able to edit Oo write and calc files. I read that the Asus Transformer came with one installed but I have not been able to find anything about one for other tablets

Cen5

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I heard/read somewhere that OO has been removed from SUN's grasps and made free again. This was the latest news on the net. The new replacement for OO is Libre Office which still has not been released. At the moment I'm using DOCS TO GO which I'm not totally happy with! And there is no MS ONENOTE equivalent in Android. I didn't mind OO because it would be very much like MS WORD.

tecwizrd

Aug 10, 2010
Oracle purchased Sun Microsystems. OpenOffice is still free of charge at the moment. The Apache Web Server group now has exclusive rights to the OO code base. I assume this means OO will be released under the Apache liscense. Libra Office is the true open source fork of OO. It is liscensed under the GPL. I do hope that we get a LibraOffice counter part for Android.

On a side note. It would be nice if these phone manufacturers would open up the hardware. I invision a world where I am free to use whatever I want on my phone. I.e. debian, slackware, and the like. These phones are now capable of doing just that. If unlocked.

Sent from my DROID2 using Android Tablet Forum

CenturionFive

Dec 11, 2010
LibreOffice is a fork of the OpenOffice project and has been available for some time. There is no Android app that will edit ods or odt files though.