OpenOffice Now Available on GooglePlay

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
And again, if you are fully into Open Office for document creation, then this gives you that next bit of productivity for your tablet. Don't think I would even try it on a phone yet. If you are working in .doc with MS Office I see no reason to get excited since Kingsoft Office is still free and works great.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Speaking of opening documents, does Android 4.4 have a way to select an application to open a file? I'm really annoyed at the popup message "Cannot open file" when I actually do have an app installed that will read open te file (like a midi ( .mid) music files.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
that application only allows you to manage the default actions for the file types that Android recognizes. The goal is trying to do something like getting a notepad or text editor (like Docs To Go) to open an HTML file, which is stuff you can do in Windows.

BTW- DTG refused to open a .doc file because it was a "plain text file" ?

Natey2

May 25, 2012
I can open .doc files with DTG.

But I can't open .txt files with DTG; DTG doesn't come up as one of the 7 possible apps for dealing with .txt files.

I believe the Android app needs to register an intent for that file type extension on installation.

Yeah, it's easier to fix this issue under Windows.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4

Music

Feb 5, 2011
On my old tablet, FireFox and CoolReader would come up as choices to open .txt or similar files

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
AndrOpen Office is much smoother on my quad core Lenovo Yoga 10 tablet, just about to the point of being really functional for daily use, just wish it had a higher resolution display for a wider page size.

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
Got an update today or yesterday, seem to launch a little faster now but haven't really tried to do real work on it yet.

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
The install size continues to decrease with each revision. Also I see a new $.99 pro version which adds a couple small features but also might help push development. The guy is certainly not trying to get rich off of this application. I keep hoping that Apache will put this into their main branches and really get things going.

Natey2

May 25, 2012
The install size continues to decrease with each revision.
I see some improvements in UI/usage, but the app size has actually increased by 1MB (to 179MB) from v1.4.0 to v1.4.2a :

hyzy7upe.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
I looked at the download sized, they must be compressing the package now.

Mine says 209mb and with whatever small amount of data it has created I'm up to 256mb.

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Moved to Android Tablet Apps where more people looking for apps to handle MS documents will see it.