Operating System Upgrades on a Tablet

DonSchaeffer

Jun 24, 2013
What is the likelihood that HP will offer an upgrade to Android 4.3 (or something else)? Is it even possible to receive such upgrades on a tablet? You can upgrade operating systems on a PC. Can you do so on a tablet?

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
You would need to ask them, I'd think. :p

But seriously, as I understand KitKat is not even 'officially' out yet, so it will be a while before even HP gets to play with it.

Whether or not the Slate 7 can upgrade to the newer version(s) will depend upon cpu speed, memory capacity, storage capacity, how cpu dependent the version is, how 'bloated' it is... and a bunch of other things... but mostly those.

Android, like all other systems, is getting a wider waist with every additional dessert. :p

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
What is the likelihood that HP will offer an upgrade to Android 4.3 (or something else)? Is it even possible to receive such upgrades on a tablet?

As leeb pointed out, whether or not you'll see an update to Android 4.3 Jellybean or possibly even Android 4.4 KitKat depends entirely on the manufacturer of the tablet. The method of distribution, if any, is also up to the manufacturer.

Google makes Android available to the manufacturers, and they make whatever modifications they want or have to in order to get it to run on their hardware the way they want it to. Then, they manufacture the tablet, install the Android system and sell it to you.

When a new version is made available to them, they evaluate it and determine whether or not

1.) It will even run on your tablet's hardware. (It may require a feature your hardware doesn't have, more storage, a more powerful CPU etc.)

2.) They're going to bother, since they've already got your money. (How important customer satisfaction and their reputation are and whether or not they have the resources to do it are major factors here.)

If they decide not to provide an update and you decide you absolutely have to have some of the new features

1.) You can buy a tablet that comes with the new Android version. (Possibly from a manufacturer that did provide an update for their customers. (My N7 2013 came with Android 4.3.))

2.) Hope that a kindly Developer creates a custom ROM for your tablet that has the features you want. (If the developer has a donate link, that would be the time to use it. After all, he/she saved you the cost of a new tablet.)

You can upgrade operating systems on a PC.

Yes that's quite true and very nice provided it will run on your old computer, and is compatible with your hardware and software. However, MS won't give you that new version of Windows. You'll have to buy it, and it costs more than many of the tablets people are using here on the forum. Also, if there's any hardware or software that's not compatible with the new OS, it could cost you quite a bit more for a new device, program or possibly even a new computer.

Hope that helps and isn't TL/TR.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
My Acer Iconia A110 came with Android 4.1 when I bought it new, 10 months ago. Still, no update and I don't anticipate that there ever will be one. I'm sure the company has the money, but having a reputation as a budget tablet provider, why should they want to spoil you.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
having a reputation as a budget tablet provider, why should they want to spoil you.

;)

BTW Thanks for not using that funky font any more. It was hard for me to read.:cool: