Over charging acer Iconia 500a?

adamsmith36

Sep 3, 2012
Is the Acer Iconia OEM charge system smart enough to keep from overcharging battery if left plugged in when not in use?

anna_mariya

Apr 24, 2013
I am too getting the same issue.. But after a hard reset Now its working fine.. Lets see for how much time is it.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Unless the circuitry is faulty, that shouldn't be a problem and it should stop charging at around 100%. Except when I'm using it, my NC has been on the charger almost continually for two years now and the battery is fine.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The charger itself is not what regulates the current for Lithium-ion batteries, but the batteries themselves. Each Lithium-ion battery includes a circuit board which regulates the current sent to the battery and also prevents the battery from being overcharged. If the charger fails, it's relatively easy to replace. If the charge regulator circuit in the battery fails, have a fire extinguisher ready.

The good news is this: the charging regulator circuit is not known to fail on Lithium-ion batteries. There are videos on YouTube though that show people deliberately bypassing the circuit and applying current. The end results are...explosive.