PDF Problems on Samsung Galaxy S3

ChrisJ2014

Mar 26, 2014
Hello All, I am new to tablets, I purchased one so I wouldn't have to carry my laptop around at school as often. I have books and large PDF files I am trying to use on it, and it seems to crash the device when I try to jump to different pages, or search within the PDF.

Is there a fix to this? A way to downsize the pdf, or anything because the reason I bought my Samsung was for this use, and well it doesn't seem to work well.

Thank you for any advice, Im still trying to figure it all out!

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

Which app are you trying to open them with, and how large are you talking about?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
With PDFs on Android I find Adobe Reader actually works best. It is possible to optimize a PDF to reduce its size, but you need the full version of Acrobat on your PC or laptop to do that. That assumes the PDF isn't secured against changes.

ChrisJ2014

Mar 26, 2014
Thank you! I will look into the Acrobat to optimize it, Would you happen to have more information on how to do that? The school computers have Acrobat I believe.

I have been using whatever it is that the tablet comes with (Polaris Office). I am trying The Adobe Reader and it is working quite a bit better than Polaris was. The PDF file in question is 13 MB in size.

Thank you for the information and the welcome. I am still getting use to it, and trying to learn it.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Sure. In Acrobat X Pro, go to "Save As" and in the drop down menu that appears, select "Optimized PDF". From there you have a whole host of options, from reducing the resolution of images to wiping out the bookmarks. You'll have to play around with the settings to find one that works for you.