Powered Hub and the A2109.

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
Hello all:

I know that from a former thread I asked about using a hub for both charging and having other things hooked to the A2109 at the same time if that would work or not.
And I was told I could do this but it would give me only minimal charging?
While I can understand that because for all purposes it would be like plugging it into my Laptop Usb port.
I was looking at a power supply for a D Link 7 port powered USB hub that I have, And it is rated at 5 volt 3 Amp if I am not mistaken that equals 15 watt?
And the standard OEM Power Pack that comes with the A2109 is rated at 5 volt 2 amp which would equal again if I am not mistaken Equal 10 watts?

OK my obvious question is this since the D Link powered hub is rated at 15 watt output.
Shouldn't it have the power to not only maintain the charge on the A2109 while the tablet is in use?
As well as support a wired keyboard and or a Usb Flash Drive?

I've done research and have read on numerous sites that you can't fry anything as long as what you are charging your device with is designed to charge through the usb interface.
It will either have enough to do the job you want, Barely maintain a slow charge while the device is off' or it will do nothing at all.

So what's your thoughts on this?
This is just one of those things I am trying to figure out, More for the fun of it then anything else.

Ravak

Dec 5, 2012
I think it won't work at all (not even minimal charging). Powered hub delivers power to its nodes (devices connected to it), not to its parent (tablet / device it is connected to).

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Power hubs work just fine, I use them all the time, to charge my devices add mouse keyboard hard drives and such.

These are the ones I own and use without any problems.

USB 2 0 7 Port High Speed Hub Powered AC Adapter Cable Super SHIP Fast from USA | eBay

I have hub hooked up to my pc, then hook the A2109 to the hub, this is for adb and fastboot commands, if I don't want to fastboot or adb I unplug hub from pc. the hub can and has charged 3 androids at one time, could possible charge more i just don't have any more usb cables.

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
Thanks! I just ordered one. I have not had a problem with the computer USB charging my tablet. I do that often. Usually I use the charger that came with it.

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
Power hubs work just fine, I use them all the time, to charge my devices add mouse keyboard hard drives and such.

USB 2 0 7 Port High Speed Hub Powered AC Adapter Cable Super SHIP Fast from USA | eBay

I have hub hooked up to my pc, then hook the A2109 to the hub, this is for adb and fastboot commands, if I don't want to fastboot or adb I unplug hub from pc. the hub can and has charged 3 androids at one time, could possible charge more i just don't have any more usb cables.

OK then that answers that Thanks, I take it then that a powered hub will maintain the charge on the device while the device the A2109 is in use?

One last question, How do you have the hub hooked to your A2109?
Do you have it hooked to the tablet the same way you do to your PC?
Or do you just have it hooked to the front of the hub as you would a Flash Drive?

Thanks Again: Ricky

Last edited:

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013

I ordered that hub and received one. Unfortunately, it is the hub mentioned in this post:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...538-power-related-touchpad-woes-continue.html

The problem occurred on the host side. I tried connecting it on the slave side first and it did not detect a charge and the touchpad was working normally. When I connected on the host side it went berserk - lots of phantom presses. After I disconnected I continued to have touchpad troubles for a while (at this point they are still lingering while charging).

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
I ordered that hub and received one. Unfortunately, it is the hub mentioned in this post:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...538-power-related-touchpad-woes-continue.html

The problem occurred on the host side. I tried connecting it on the slave side first and it did not detect a charge and the touchpad was working normally. When I connected on the host side it went berserk - lots of phantom presses. After I disconnected I continued to have touchpad troubles for a while (at this point they are still lingering while charging).

Thanks for this post I just ordered mine yesterday and am glad that you told me this.
This way I know "NOT" to give it a shot and have the problems you have reported
I'll just leave well enough alone and work within the design that it was made for.

Thanks Again: Ricky :cool:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011

I don't understand why you had problems with the hub, I have two of them and no problems at all, Sounds like your tablet is having problems not the hub.

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
I don't understand why you had problems with the hub, I have two of them and no problems at all, Sounds like your tablet is having problems not the hub.

You may be right. I have a thread running where I report more about the issues and some research on it happening to a lot of devices:

I think it all started with the inverter but the worst behavior so far was with the hub. Not sure why, but given the awesome price, the power supply is likely a little noisy.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
You may be right. I have a thread running where I report more about the issues and some research on it happening to a lot of devices:

I think it all started with the inverter but the worst behavior so far was with the hub. Not sure why, but given the awesome price, the power supply is likely a little noisy.

do you have any other devices, cell phone or other tablets? to plug into hub and see if they charge if they do then hub not at fault. all my devices charge from these hubs, if they didn't I wouldn't have recommended the hub.

I read through your thread, you ask about car 120V AC converter, I doubt they would work, but that really is different than a hub. the hub shouldn't surge as it supplies power evenly, you also said, the tablet wasn't detected on one side, the hub has 7 ports all work for me, what are you using to plug into the hub to connect to your tablet?

Last edited:

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
At the time I tried the hub, the tablet was working fine on the USB charger or just battery. But I had experienced the inverter problem 2 days earlier. Anyway, first I just tried the hub as a power source to the tablet. It did not seem to detect it (no lightning bolt in battery) and the touchpad worked fine. Then I used my USB host adapter, which works fine with a mouse or thumb drive, and the cable that came with the hub to attach to the host side. As soon as I did that, the touch pad went crazy. I just hooked the hub to my phone and it says it is a charger and seems to be happily charging. I plugged the PC into the host side and it figured out there was a phone there and the phone noticed there is a PC and offered to sync. So I think it works, but I think the a2109 (or at least mine) is sensitive to power being just right.

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
OK, here is a most bizarre update. I connected the tablet instead of the phone with the PC still on the host side. The PC can access the tablet, the tablet now says it is charging and the touchpad is working fine. I have a new thought - what if the inverter damaged the USB charger? I am still a little gun shy about trying the tablet on the host side of the hub though...

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I don't know, mine is hooked to the hub right now, and I am typing on tablet on Lenovo Community - Lenovo Community stating I have CM10 running with wifi. I am having no problems with touch screen, if I did I couldn't use the tablet to make posts.

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
I think you are right about the hub. I suspect that my tablet was ( It seems to have recovered again) the problem. I am still afraid to test the hub again yet.

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
Just when I thought I had things back to normal, it goes bonkers again when I connect the cable to charge it...