Problem with Preloaded Norton Tablet Security on Lenovo IdeaTab A2109A

ranabirghosh

Oct 18, 2012
Hi, I am new to androidtablets.net and this is my first post. I am also very new to Android OS and Tablets, but I am working with computers right from 1987 using DOS, Unix and Windows platforms.

Few weeks ago I bought a Lenovo IdeaTab A2109A which was launched very recently. It was preloaded with Norton Tablet Security with one months subscription free with monthly renewal option only. So near the end of the month I purchased a 1-year subscription from Norton website online, downloaded, installed and activated it. The subscription period showed 367 days left, probably because 2-days where still valid from the pre-installed one month subscription.

Trouble started when I tried to update the virus definitions next day. I got a prompt "There is a newer version available, upgrade?" I clicked on "YES" and Nortons Mobile Security for tablets downloaded. While installing, it asked permission to uninstall the last version installed, which I gave and it showed "Uninstall successful". Then it gave a message "Another installation of Nortns Tablet Security is found, need to uninstall it" as I clicked on "yes" and got a message "Un-install Unsuccessful!". The preinstalled "Norton Tablet Security" showed "Subscription expired" and Norton Mobile Security for Tablets showed "Free version" !!! The only option left for me was to uninstall it and re-install my purchased Norton Tablet Security" and re-activate with the Authorization Key, which I did.

Now every time I try to update the virus definitions, I get a prompt to install the newer version "Norton Mobile Security for Tablets" which I decline then I get a message "Update unsuccessful and not installed"!!! I posted the problem at Nortons website but never got a reply. I could not find any group for Lenovo Tablets with Android OS in Android.net.

I shall be grateful if any of the forum members can help me regarding this. I am a visitor from India, I come to USA every year for 2 to 3 months to visit my friends and relatives who are US citizens. I am going back on Novenber 13th. By profession I am a mechanical Engineering graduate, with hobbies - like Audio electronics, Aeromodelling, photography and I travel around the World a lot, that is why I bought this tablet to avoid carrying around my heavy Note Book PC but now I am having doubts whether I did the right thing!
android-sad.png

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi ranabirghosh, congratulations on your new IdeaTab A2109A and welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us here at Android Tablets. I'm going to move your thread over to the Lenovo Tablets forum for you so folks can discuss your problem with you and hopefully make some suggestions. Good luck!

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

It sounds as if your tablet configuration has gotten confused. Being that you actually purchased the app from Symantec, (Norton's parent company), I suggest you place a call to them to see if they can assist you. If not them, possibly Lenovo. The problem would seem to be somewhat unique and sending an E-Mail or checking a forum may take forever. If you actually bought the app they owe you some support.

biking4jesus

Aug 27, 2011
You have a great tablet for the use you described. I've had an Acer A500 for over a year and recently got a Lenovo A2109. It is great. I like the 9" form factor better than 10" or 7" (except it is hard to find a case). The quad core processor is really fast. I seldom use my laptop anymore.

Your Norton problem is probably due to the fact that the pre-installed apps can't be 'uninstalled'. Usually when they are updated by a newer version, the new version is stored in your portion of RAM. It wastes space, but that is how it works. Apparently Norton's installer doesn't deal well with that. I agree that Symantec tech support is where you need to go for help.

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
Hi and enjoy your stay in the U.S.
I think I know how you cab fix your problem. Go to Settings/Applications/Running. Or you might need to look I. Settings/Applications/All.
Look for your Norton's trail Application, You should have two of them one will be your trials Version and the other something like Norton's Mobile Security or something to that effect.

Once you have found the Trial Version. LONG Click on it, and a screen should come up giving you the option to Disable that Application, Press disable then go back to your paid install application icon where ever you may have it and then you should from that point be able to upgrade/update your paid for version without any trouble.

I hope this helps...