Problem with sd card

scrubjay

Jun 9, 2011
I got my Kyros 7024 last week and was very pleased with it. However, I tried to download an app from the Amazon app store and ran into a problem. The app is quite large and needs to be installed on an sd card. The problem is I can't get it or any other app to install on the card. In settings I can see the card and how much space is on it so it looks like the device sees the card. However, the Kindle app was the only one I could move onto the card. I connected the device to my computer and expected to have the option to explore the sd card or the internal storage. However I was only able to explore the internal storage. (The description in the manual is not what actually happens when doing this). When I click on the sd icon in the file manager nothing happens. So I either have a defective device or sd card. Coby support so far has been no help, the tech I talked to on the phone did not know what an apk file was and I got no reply from an email I sent support. Since I am completely new to android my only hope is that some one here can help or the Kyros goes back to Amazon. I'm hoping this problem can be fixed because everything else about the Kyros was better than I expected.

I did some more looking and found a link to a fix for the problem, however it asks me to delete a file in the .android_secure folder and when I connected to my pc I found that this folder was empty. Could someone reading this post check and see if this is normal or should there be files in the folder.

Last edited:

Ray50

Apr 24, 2011
I am not sure I understand your problem but apps I download go in the folder extsd (external micro SD Card)>downloads. I have put pictures, videos and apps on the micro SD card in different folders, plugged the card in a booted 8024 and found all the files in the extsd folder. (Memory setup is a little confusing because the built in 4gigs is also labeled as SD.)

scrubjay

Jun 9, 2011
Thanks for your comment. None of the apps I download go to the external sd card. I finally talked to Coby support and the guy told me that the Kyros does not download to the sd card. Using settings/manage applications I have only been able to move one app to the sd card. The tech support guy at Amazon appstore suggested going to the folder android_secure and deleting the file smdl2tmp1.asec. However, the android_secure folder on my unit is empty. The main reason I want to download apps to the sd card is because one app that I really want must be downloaded to the sd card. I took the apk file for that app, which I downloaded from the amazon app store, and copied it directly to the sd card but it still would not install. So I'd like to find out if the guy at Coby support is correct and is there some way I can get the unit to download to the sd card.

Ray50

Apr 24, 2011
Ok see only the .apk files I down loaded with the browser went to my ext SD card.

I assume you saw the settins>Applications>Manage Applications>Move to SD card.

I guess you can move it after you install it...don't know if that helps.

pcjr1970

Jun 15, 2011
From what I understand from reading about the Android OS (2.2 at least), you cannot install apps directly to the SD card. You have to do the standard install, then go to the Application manager in settings and then move the app to the SD card. There will still be a small piece of that app that remains in that small 512 MB portion of your card.

scrubjay

Jun 9, 2011
The problem is it won't install, I get the message 'application not installed'.

scrubjay

Jun 9, 2011
I have been in touch with coby tech support, Amazon app store tech support and the app developer tech support. Both amazon and green mountain digital say I must delete a file in .android_secure, however this folder is empty. Coby says that the app I want to install is for a phone and has not been upgraded to work on a tablet. I thought android 2.2 was the same on any device. I have downloaded apps from appslib and the amazon store so the problem is not there. The app I want to install is large and has lots of photos so maybe there is a problem there. I would like to try downloading a similar app from appslib since that is the default app store, however so far I have found appslib to be useless. The app I want is a birdwatching guide and I found a similar one on amazon but that also would not install. Anyhow, it would seem that no one on this forum has this problem or an answer so its probably best to close the thread and if I find a solution I'll post it.