Q about using my Tablet as a way to transfer Photos to a External HD via USB port

Arbib

Feb 24, 2013
1st post... kinda....

Connecting a USB External HD to off-load Vacation Photos via Asus Transformer w/Keyboard dock...

will this allow me to transfer my images on a SD card to my external USB HD using the Tablet as the transfer medium?

I will be on vacation, a prefer not to take my laptop..

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Some people have had success doing that, others not so much. I think the problem may be the amount of power the hard disk requires. It may take transferring to internal first then to the HD. You'll need to try it to see. A tip: if at first it doesn't seem to work, plug the charger into the dock.

Last edited:

Greasy

Jan 11, 2013
I couldn't get an external HD to connect unless it had a separate power source, and the tablet was also powered from mains! It might be easier to use a good sized memory stick .. or 'cloud' storage whenever you get WiFi access .. ;)

Arbib

Feb 24, 2013
So get a large SD,
1) transfer to my 64gig internal memory,
2) take out my Camera SD out of the Keyboard dock
3) put in my bank larger SD card
4) then, copy from the internal memory to that larger SD card.. (or Flash Drive?)

I can't try it yet, because I am waiting for B&H to ship it out...
I should get it by Wed/Thus

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
So get a large SD,
4) then, copy from the internal memory to that larger SD card.. (or Flash Drive?)

That would work, but, it's still possible you may be able to go straight from external storage to external storage without needing to copy to internal memory. You'll just need to try it.

Arbib

Feb 24, 2013
So get a large SD,

OK, I will try both...

I will post my findings....

Arbib

Feb 24, 2013
OK, I can take my SD card from my camera, place it in the SD slot on the keyboard dock, and use the ASUS file manager to off-load them to the m/SD card or the internal memory.
That is good news.... for my uses at times...

The RAWDROID App is also able read my Olympus OMD E-M5 RAW files.... another good thing...

-------------------------------------------