Question on Coby MID7015

AirborneDude

Dec 9, 2010
I will have a Coby MID7015 coming in January. I figured before I get it, I can learned from others that already have it.

First question: Has anyone tried a USB hub with it? See if you can run a mouse and keyboard off the hub. From my understanding, the tablet only has 1 USB port right?

Does the keyboard when hooked up work good? Does a mouse when hooked up work good?

I am mainly curious about the USB hub.

I am an avid Linux user for that last 10 years. I am sure once I root my tablet, if it doesn't work with a USB hub, I can add the drivers for it.

Has anyone installed Android 2.2? 2.2 is reported to be 40% faster than 2.1, so I am curious if the performance is good (If someone has installed Android 2.2). Also, has anyone heard if Coby is going to update it to Android 2.2? Has anyone talked to Coby? How is their support?

Has anyone tested the HDMI output?

Is anyone successful on tethering the tablet to an Android phone? I have a Android 2.1 phone, I would like to tethering my tablet to it. This tablet is going to replace my laptop on business trips. I need certain things from it.

Also read the case is not attached as the other tablet. So does it come with a case at all?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
Hey Airborne,

I just got the Kyros and have played around with it for a bit.

My Belkin 4-port USB 2.0 port does not work when plugged into the mini-USB port (connected via USB through a mini-USB to USB adapter- included with the tablet). That being said, I have not found a way to connect both a mouse and a keyboard to the device simultaneously. Simple Mice, Keyboards and portable keyboards work great (minus advanced functions) but there is really no need to have a mouse plugged in thanks to the touch screen interface. An external keyboard is extremely helpful when working with text however.

HDMI output is great! All videos in various supported formats work wonderful. The video is upscaled however not full 1080, but it's not a big deal it still looks great and the audio is just as good. I have not run into any sync issues at all, nor have I seen any interlace or framerate problems, all videos work flawlessly.

For the $200 price, you can't beat the buy.

Any more questions sir? :)

AirborneDude

Dec 9, 2010
Thanks for the reply BKenny. I appreciate the info.

Do you happen to know the different between the MID7005 and MID7015? I know they have different processors, not speeds, but different CPU manufactures.

I am really looking for to getting mine. I was torn between the Coby MID7015 and the Sylvania. I read to many weird things about the Sylvania, like the USB ports not working, and not saving settings, etc... Now I am reading Sylvania is patching their tablet and it is getting better. I also read the Sylvania might be getting Android 2.2 soon.

My friend told me he is getting the Sylvania and he said he wants his tablet for movies only, where I am looking at work related (Laptop replacement on business trips). He suggested we could trade if I want. So I will have to see.

But hearing good news from you and others on this forum and reviews, I think the Coby will work for me. We will see.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
For the Coby Kyros, most of the components are identical. The manufacturers should be different. Sylvania is more powerful, but needs patches. Coby Kyros is TCC8902, and has been stable for months now before they got rebranded for the US.

2.2 isn't much faster on these low RAM ARM 11 devices. Don't even bother. HDMI works fine out of the box. Price of the Kyros should be within $200 for anyone to consider it.

MID7005 Pros over MID7015
been around for a while (HSG X5A new revision)
full USB
full SD slot
can be placed vertically without tipping over

MID7015 Pros over MID7005
hardware buttons
integrated stylus
less weight?
touch response?

Cons for both
ARM11
RAM
Possible overheating

AirborneDude

Dec 9, 2010
xaueious, thanks for the info.

I guess I will need to test both to see which one I like the best.

Vernon17

Sep 6, 2010
I have had this MID7015 for a week now. I am not an intense user but I have not noticed any overheating.
I am a bit suprised over the screen. It is resistive touch and is responsive but I am not able to do the pinch-zoom thing. Is this unit supposed to have this ablility?

thanks

troyy0206

Nov 14, 2010
I have had this MID7015 for a week now. I am not an intense user but I have not noticed any overheating.
I am a bit suprised over the screen. It is resistive touch and is responsive but I am not able to do the pinch-zoom thing. Is this unit supposed to have this ablility?

thanks

No, this is not a multi-touch device. You tap the screen to zoom.

AirborneDude

Dec 9, 2010

thanks

Vernon,

How is the surfing? Have you played any games on it? Are you into emulators? IE like SNESoid and GENSoid emulators for playing SNES and SEGA Genesis games? I am curious about the game play with those?

I think when I get mine, I will root it, then going to load a Linux joystick/game pad driver file and see if I can get the tablet to recognize the gamepad.

orionzdrm

Dec 14, 2010
Vernon,

How is the surfing? Have you played any games on it? Are you into emulators? IE like SNESoid and GENSoid emulators for playing SNES and SEGA Genesis games? I am curious about the game play with those?

I think when I get mine, I will root it, then going to load a Linux joystick/game pad driver file and see if I can get the tablet to recognize the gamepad.
I bought this thing just for games and net. I love it. I played Angry Birds and Wave Race lastnight. Both run just as well as they do on my cell (iphone). I have not done the Emulators yet but will see how it plays. Without multitouch I doubt that it will work as well as on my phone but im sure there is some usb controller you can use. So far I love this thing. I have not had one game not run on it yet so thats great. I need to put the android market place on it and check out there games. The AppLib market only has a few dozen games but they are decent.

troyy0206

Nov 14, 2010
I bought this thing just for games and net. I love it. I played Angry Birds and Wave Race lastnight. Both run just as well as they do on my cell (iphone). I have not done the Emulators yet but will see how it plays. Without multitouch I doubt that it will work as well as on my phone but im sure there is some usb controller you can use. So far I love this thing. I have not had one game not run on it yet so thats great. I need to put the android market place on it and check out there games. The AppLib market only has a few dozen games but they are decent.

Interesting...on my Coby 7015, Angry Birds seems to play fine but there is some issue with rendering the graphics. For example, when the bonus points pop up over the left over birds at the end of a level, they are blank squares. You seen anything like that?

Vernon17

Sep 6, 2010
Surfing is great with the exception of some wifi connection issues.
I am not into games yet but I look forward to them!
I am going to root the device and get the Android market on it and then try some stuff. I will let ya know.

troyy0206

Nov 14, 2010
Surfing is great with the exception of some wifi connection issues.
I am not into games yet but I look forward to them!
I am going to root the device and get the Android market on it and then try some stuff. I will let ya know.

Same here on the WiFi connection issues. Reception is pretty weak and sometimes it connects/disconnects and sometimes I have to restart the tablet to reset the wireless. Not a lot but it happens.