Random restarts on TF101

jjlava

Apr 16, 2012
Hi all,

I got an Asus TF101 a few weeks back. I sometimes notice that it randomly shuts itself off, even when fully charged. It usually happens if I've left it turned on but not shut down for some time, say several hours or so, and I'll come back to it and notice it's in "splash screen" mode, like it's restarting. I then hit the power button for 5 or so seconds and it reboots normally. This has happened to me at least a half dozen times since I've had the tablet. Otherwise it works great and I am very happy with it.

I've turned off auto updates to apps. I'll have to see if that takes care of it. Perhaps I should just make it a good practice to shut it down completely if I'm leaving it alone for awhile.

What do you think? Anyone else run into this issue?

xandor

Aug 25, 2010
I have too and the recent firmware update I got to 4.0.3 had no effect and I'm not sure why it's happening

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
On a sister forum (transformerforums dot com) many users have had success with installing Wake Lock and setting it to partial. This keeps the tablet from fully going to sleep, so it may drain your battery a bit faster BUT it drains quite quickly if it gets stuck on the ASUS splash screen.

jjlava

Apr 16, 2012
I will check out Wake Lock. I upgraded to the newest firmware. I'll see if it helps. Thanks!

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
That was happening to me. After the last update it seems to have stopped.

The latest update seems to have cured the issue for MOST users, but not all. From what I saw at xda-developers that if you were still having random reboots with the latest firmware and no apps installed (perform a factory data reset and do not install any apps) then ASUS was (Gary Key) was asking users to contact ASUS to send in their tablets to have diagnosis done to discover why they are rebooting. No word on how long it would take to fix them either.