Reading Portable Hard Drive through USB NTFS and FAT32 Issue

dparr

Dec 6, 2011
Ok here is what I have

Iconia A500 not rooted and updated to Honeycomb 3.2
Use ES File Explorer and File Manager HD
I have a 60gb WD Portable Drive that powers through the USB and when formatted to NTFS the Iconia reads the hard drive quickly and No Problems. I also have a USB Stick Fat32 4GB that is read with no problems. Here is the issue:

My car stereo will only read FAT32, so I formatted the 60gb drive to FAT32 and loaded all my music to it. Worked great in the stereo, however when I went back to connect to the tablet..... no luck. The tablet wont read the FAT32? When connected and search through File Explorer or File Manager it shows the usb_storage but when I click it, it says "Directory is empty".

Just for kicks I reformatted the hard drive back to NTFS and pow... no problems the tablet reads it (But now I can't use it in my car)

Note: I also noticed when clicking on the details of the USB stick (FAT32) and the hard drive (when NTFS) when inserted in the USB slot and I click on the details of the usb_storage it indicates under Permissions: "drw" but when the hard drive is formatted to the FAT32 the Permissions show "d--" Not sure if this means anything?

This is not the end of the world but very frustrating since it should read the FAT32? Any ideas? Sorry my first post is such a long post :)

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the max the Iconia could handle in Fat32 was 32 Gigs, and people who tried bigger things couldn't get it to work.

I might be wrong on this. I can't test it because all my external drives are formated NTFS or Ext3, and my biggest Thumb drive is 16gig.

But why drag all that equipment around with you? Just sign up for a google music account and its on your phone and tablet where ever you need it.

dparr

Dec 6, 2011
Icebike you are absolutely correct, awesome Thanks! I reformatted to fat32 at 31gb and it reads in both locations no problem. Thanks again. Don't know about the google music, will have to look into that. But my car has a usb in the glove box connected to my in dash where I can control it... I like that and the portability when I'm on my boat and friends LOL and it just sits in my glove box til i need it elsewhere. I access my desk drive for the same music through the tablet visa ES File Explorer through wifi lan. Thanks again for the info.

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
Icebike, I have a 64 gig usb stick that is fat 32 that works with no problem.
I also have 2 64 gig usb sticks formatted ntfs that work.
I also have a Toshiba 500 gig drive that is fat 32 that has over 300 gigs on it and my tablet reads it.
I bought the Toshiba before the update that let the tablet read ntfs so I had to format it to fat 32 to use it.

If you read on the following link, which is found under the accesories section, you will find others who are able to use large fat 32 drives. Some say they need to hook up the drive and then reboot.
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-hard-drive-not-working-help-appreciated.html

Last edited:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Ok, frnkws, so how come the OP had to format under 32gig to get his to work?

How is your device different? Are you running stock?

(I've no problem getting 300gig ntfs working by the way).

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
Yes I'm running stock 3.2 and unlike some I don't need to reboot.
I checked it after reading this thread so I would be sure.

Last edited:

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
maybe he didn't unmount the drive correctly. This can cause the same problem.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
He did say that he could read it the first time. But when he tried the second time....:confused:

spexwood

May 11, 2011
There is no limit. I have been using a FAT32 1TB drive since this tablet was first launched and have not had any issues whatsoever.

So, things you should check:
ADDED: BTW, I have walked many people through.how to format their drives, so if you need strp-by-strps, pm me. I'm willing to help with detailed ecplanations; I have a nontechnical mom, sister, and friend, so I'm used to it, lol.

1) make sure the drive is getting enough usb power from the tablet if it is usb-powered. Obviously, if it worked once, it should work again though.

2) Try formatting with FAT32Formatter (freeware). This is what I use and no problems for me.
tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/Fat32Formatter/

3) Be sure that yhe drive only has one partition. Android can't read any external devices (memory cards, drives, phones, etc) with multiple partitions. The manual states this too and I have personally tried it with a 2-partion drive and it wouldn't work.

4) Reboot! With the drive plugged in, reboot the tablet.
This has worked for me and many others when the tablet suddenly doesn't want to read the drive.

5) Wait! There is sometimes a delay between the time you plug the drive in and when you can access it. That delay can be anywhere from a second to a few seconds depending on the speed of the drive, capacity, and how many files are on it.
My rule of thumb is to to plug in the drive and wait an overkill of a full minute (way more than should be needed). If it still doesn't work, then do #3 above and wait another mimute.

6) If all else fails, try another drive. Maybe something is wrong with your current one or it isn't compatible (the latter is unlikely though).
If I can get a 1TB to work on my tabletceithout pronlems, and someone can do a 500GB, and domeone else a 64GB, then there is NO limit and OP should be able to get his drive to wotk too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited: