Plugging USB Passport hard drive

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
Do not go by the old Acer information.
It says it does not support NTFS but it does.
I believe that was changed in the 3.21 update.
I have 2 64 gig usb sticks formatted NTFS that I use on the A500 with no problem.
Acer also says it will support up to a 32 gig micro SD but it does support a 64 gig.
Even with a USB stick it needs to read the contents before it is ready to use.
I believe the light on the stick or USB drive will blink while it is busy being read.
When it stops blinking you can access it.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Yeah that right 64GB micro SD but effectively that becomes a storage device. under HC can't load an app on it and run it from there. Same deal under ICS I think - Haven't got ICS yet.

The problem I have is not really a tablet problem but a WIN 7 problem on my PC - I haven't seen a solution yet.

sopranosv

Nov 22, 2010
Do not go by the old Acer information.
It says it does not support NTFS but it does.
I believe that was changed in the 3.21 update.
I have 2 64 gig usb sticks formatted NTFS that I use on the A500 with no problem.
Acer also says it will support up to a 32 gig micro SD but it does support a 64 gig.
Even with a USB stick it needs to read the contents before it is ready to use.
I believe the light on the stick or USB drive will blink while it is busy being read.
When it stops blinking you can access it.

Yeap...the ability to read NTFS got solved with a Honeycomb minor update...

adrian4408

Nov 1, 2012
Quick question I want to buy a Ainol Novo10 Hero Tab, runs android 4.1. Only has a mini usb socket, if I get an adapter will it read my Seagate 500gb portable hard drive. I want to run videos (mainly avi & mkv files)

Need to know before I spend my money on this tab

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Quick question I want to buy a Ainol Novo10 Hero Tab, runs android 4.1. Only has a mini usb socket, if I get an adapter will it read my Seagate 500gb portable hard drive. I want to run videos (mainly avi & mkv files)

Need to know before I spend my money on this tab

You have to read the specs carefully to see if that tablet has usb host support. An adapter won't help a bit if the tablet doesn't support host mode.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

adrian4408

Nov 1, 2012
Ok quote from one site is:
OTG FunctionSupport to connect with USB mouse, USB keyboard, external 3G USB dongle, U-disk, and other external USB devices

Another site says: 'mirco usb host'

Will that do the trick? Sorry to sound like a noob but ordering from the US to Spain & don't want to get it wrong & waste my money
Thanks

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
That should do it.

I forbid you to pay more than $2 for the adaptor. ;-)

31D0ibZH5vL._SL500_.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• $31D0ibZH5vL._SL500_.jpg
    $31D0ibZH5vL._SL500_.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 560
Last edited:

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Reason I asked is cauz I totally screwed a WD Passport 1TB several months ago by not unmounting correcty. (click of death)
Just some good news - well call it good though the dead HDD was not good - my WIN 7 PC now reads all USB sticks. The problem got solved when I had to replace the WD HDD and reinstall the OS. HDD was under warranty so it was replaced by WESTERN DIGITAL for a new one ( a +1 to Western Digital).

Make sure you register all your WD products. HDDs can come with 1, 3, and 5 year warranties.