Referred to here by someone who successfully used this site.

DarkerSavant

Aug 25, 2011
Hello,

I have a friend who rooted his nook color successfully but I don't know if that is the best tablet for me to use. I don't own any tablet yet and really want one for reading PDF's and -ebooks, as well as other general purpose uses such as net surfing and watching movies (*.avi, *.flv and netflix). What is the best tablet around currently? Rooted and stock? Thanks in advance.

-B

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello and welcome to the forum. Your friend sent you to the right forum and I'm going to move you to the Android Tablet Discussions area where someone should help you with your questions.

DarkerSavant

Aug 25, 2011
Thank you, if I could be directed to where to find the information I am asking for that would be appreciated. I have looked through a lot of this forums and haven't found exactly what I am looking for as of yet. I don't want to buy a nook and find out that there is already a better alternative out there. Thanks.

bclinger

Aug 11, 2011
Rooted is always better. However, just a note, tablets have their functions and things they do well at and other things they just plain suck at. I was looking at data entry with Documents To Go spreadsheet function and though it works, it is far from convenient. Never one to give up, I would have not gone with a tablet had I known what I do now. I find the Evo continues to out perform the Acer A500 for my uses.

DarkerSavant

Aug 25, 2011
Thanks for the tidbit but assume I know absolutely nothing about features. I don't know what that feature you mentioned is.

Also why did you not prefer the one tablets over the other exactly.

Really, I am desperate for information. I was going to get a Sony daily reader but the nook interests me more, and after seeing that other tablets could possibly do the same and then some I need a more informed opinion. I don't like suffering buyers remorse. I just got back from my second tour in Afghanistan and looking at it to be my first large purchase.

Sent from my Eris using Android Tablet Forum

jak

Jul 31, 2011
Here's a couple of pieces of advice. If you want the tablet for reading primarily, get a 7 inch tablet not a 10 inch tablet. The 10 inch tabs are just a little awkward when using as a reader.

I got an acer a500 a little more than a month ago. I really like it. It's great for browsing, email, etc, but a little awkward as a reader. Recently i've been taking it to work as a supplement to my laptop. It's been very handy. I particularly like that it has a full sized USB port. I've tried a couple of different mice and keyboards and they worked great.

The nook seems like a good value if you don't mind a little rooting. I was going to get one myself, but best buy didn't have a functional one on display. Then i saw the acer and got it instead. Some of the less expensive tabs (Coby et al) seem to require a fair amount of support, but there seems to be a lot of help available on this forum.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Darker Savant, wellcome back home and wellcome to the forum. I had a nook, someone stole it at work, so I got another one.To tell you the whole truth I thought of getting something else, not because I wasn't happy with the nook but more for the excitment of trying something new but after researching a little I decided to get the nook again. I like only 7" tablets for reading and the two that could be better than the nook, didn't get released yet and I couldn't wait. If you can, wait for the new huawei and the acer iconia 7" check them out and then decide.And if you decide to go with the nook, come visit us over at the nook forum!
Gloria

Sent from my LG-MS690 using Android Tablet Forum

DarkerSavant

Aug 25, 2011
The Huawei looks really promising. Does anyone know the model number or release date on it? I can only find articles from June announcing its existence.