What to do, What to do..... Another noob here seeking for advice !

Freekers

Sep 5, 2010
Hi guys !

Just another noob here, also looking for his first tablet. I got interested into tablets after a friend of mine bought one. I really like the concept, so I am looking to get one of my own.

But before I start, I am wondering, is this really a good time to buy a tablet ? My friend told me that new tablets appear and are announced every day and because of the very few amount of tablets with Android 2.2, my choices are really limited, so is it better for me to wait buying a tablet ?

I have done some reading and I think Android 2.2 is the best for me, since I want to use Flash on websites, so that I can watch clips on YouTube and such. But I’ve been told that this is also possible on older android versions.. How’s that possible ?
If so, what’s exactly the advantage of Android 2.2 then ? I also read it’s supposed to be ‘450% faster than Android 2.1’ ?????

Also, I would like to have a GPS module so that I can use the tablet as a kick-ass Navigation System in my car :D However, I am not going to use Google Maps as navigation software, since it requires a constant data connection. I will be using offline navigation software such as Sygic or Navteq.

Last but not least, I like to have a ‘big’ screen. I had an Asus EEE PC 701 before and I really didn’t like the small 7 inch screen. So, I would prefer to have a 10 inch tablet. Screen.

Also, ofcourse, WiFi should be integrated and I should be able to use the official Android Market.

I will mainly be using my tablet for browsing and watching movies, but also occasionally for navigation purposes. My budget is 200$

There is also an other option I am considering, which is buying the cheapest 7 inch tablet I can find to see if I like the idea of a tablet after all, without having bought and invested a lot of money in an expensive tablet.. How about this idea ?

Thanks in advance !

pazvanti

Jun 19, 2010
Android 2.2 has JIT that makes app run a lot faster. This is one of the best advantage over 2.1.
The only tablet with 10" screen is the Zenithink ZT-180, but it runs Android 2.1
If you want Android 2.2 than your only solutions is the Wits A81E. It also has a GPS module and Flash Support. I made a small tablet comparison here: Android Tablet Comparison
Hope it helps

Aout buying the cheapes tablet...i don't think it is a good idea cause the cheapest is the Eken M001 and it is really slow.

Freekers

Sep 5, 2010
Thanks for your reply, pazvanti ! Really helpful :)

Ok. I guess I will go with a cheap 7 inch tablet, but not the cheapest. Like you said, the Eken M001 is the cheapest but also the slowest.

I did some searching and found these tablets, all 7 inch, which I like, because the all have access to the official android market:

Android OS 1.6 + 600Mhz CPU: M7001 Android Tablet PC with 1.6V OS, Official Android Market, Support Google Street View - US$109.90 : Euogo.com
Android OS 1.8 + 533Mhz CPU + Camera: Wholesale-SALES PROMOTION! Google Android 7 inch MID pad Tablet PC With CAMERA WIFI Laptop G sensor Netbook Computer
Android OS 1.9 + 400Mhz CPU + Camera: Wholesale-Androd 1.9 7 inch touch screen MID laptop/netbook Tablet PC with Camera free shipping

I am not sure which tablet to choose. Personally I think the Androis OS 1.8 tablet is the best, because it has a faster processor than the Android OS 1.9 tablet, right ?

pazvanti

Jun 19, 2010
The M7001 is nice...but since it runs Android 1.6 some apps won't run on it. Also, there is no such thing as Android 1.7 or 1.8...those are just some nightly builds of 1.6.
I strongly recommend a tablet that has at least Android 2.1...but it is up to you witch tablet you choose. I know there are more expensive...but on the long run it is better.

Freekers

Sep 5, 2010
Thanks again for your reply, pazvanti !

I didn't know that 1.6 is the latest 'stable' build of Android v 1.X. Thanks for claryfing that for me !

For me, the price difference between a 2.1 android tablet and a 1.X tablet is a bit too high for me. If I like my 1.X tablet, I think I will upgrade to an 2.2 anyway, with bigger screen, gps and such. I decided to go with a lower end tablet to just try the concept out, if you get what I mean.

The M7001 looks nice, but only has 128MB RAM. Isn't that a bit low ?
The 'Android 1.8' tablet has 256MB RAM, but the processor is a bit slower. (Wholesale-SALES PROMOTION! Google Android 7 inch MID pad Tablet PC With CAMERA WIFI Laptop G sensor Netbook Computer)

It comes down to the two above.

Thanks in advance !

iamdestruktor

Aug 31, 2010
Android 2.2 has JIT that makes app run a lot faster. This is one of the best advantage over 2.1.
The only tablet with 10" screen is the Zenithink ZT-180, but it runs Android 2.1
If you want Android 2.2 than your only solutions is the Wits A81E. It also has a GPS module and Flash Support. I made a small tablet comparison here: Android Tablet Comparison
Hope it helps

Aout buying the cheapes tablet...i don't think it is a good idea cause the cheapest is the Eken M001 and it is really slow.

By the way, the Herotab RK7 does not come with a Gsensor. This is according to merimobiles.com. I recently attempted purchasing one when they told me it was a webpage error. I've not seen it being sold on any other site either

Freekers

Sep 5, 2010
Thanks for your reply !

I contacted Euogo support and they told me the M7001 also has a VIA processor, the same as the 'Android 1.8' tablet, which makes the choice very easy: The 'Android 1.8' tablet: 256MB RAM and cheaper than the 'Android 1.9' tablet (see above).

BUT... yes there's a BUT. I did some more searching and found these tablets:

APAD E7001 AKA Rockchip RK2808/RK2808a + 128MB RAM + 2GB + CAMERA + MARKET:
$134.02 (EMS)
http://www.**************/product-g...Android-7-inch-Touch-LCD-MID-wholesalers.html

Samsung S3C6410 667MHZ + 256MB RAM + 1GB HDD + MARKET:
$115.79 x + $21.08 = US $136.87
http://www.**************/product-f...2808-Processor-600MHZ-2G-ARM-wholesalers.html

So, which one should I take ? The 'Android 1.8' AKA Flytouch VIA WM8505 + 256MB RAM + 2GB HDD + CAMERA + MARKET tablet (http://www.**************/product-f...-CAMERA-WIFI-Laptop-G-sensor-wholesalers.html) or one of the above ?
The difference is just 35 dollars, which might be worth the extra cash..

Thanks !

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2010
Thanks for your reply !

I contacted Euogo support and they told me the M7001 also has a VIA processor, the same as the 'Android 1.8' tablet, which makes the choice very easy: The 'Android 1.8' tablet: 256MB RAM and cheaper than the 'Android 1.9' tablet (see above).

BUT... yes there's a BUT. I did some more searching and found these tablets:

APAD E7001 AKA Rockchip RK2808/RK2808a + 128MB RAM + 2GB + CAMERA + MARKET:
$134.02 (EMS)
Wholesale-free shipping fee&Android 7 inch Touch LCD MID

Samsung S3C6410 667MHZ + 256MB RAM + 1GB HDD + MARKET:
$115.79 x + $21.08 = US $136.87
Wholesale-Free Shipping Android Tablet PC MID Wifi 7"TFT Touch Screen RK2808 Processor 600MHZ 2G ARM 11

So, which one should I take ? The 'Android 1.8' AKA Flytouch VIA WM8505 + 256MB RAM + 2GB HDD + CAMERA + MARKET tablet (Wholesale-SALES PROMOTION! Google Android 7 inch MID pad Tablet PC With CAMERA WIFI Laptop G sensor Netbook Computer) or one of the above ?
The difference is just 35 dollars, which might be worth the extra cash..

Thanks !

I wouldnt trust that 2nd link if I were you, it is full of conflicting information. At one point it says it is a Samsung processor then underneath it claims it is ARM 11 architecture but states the processor is a Rockchip 2808, which is ARM 9. So apparently there are 3 different processor architectures in there. As far as I'm aware the only Chines OEM tablet with a Samsung processor is the EX900, which I believe this tablet to be. It has the Samsung 32bit ARM926EJ-S processor and is a low end tablet similar to the Eken M001. Also the price is too high for an EX900

Aug 31, 2010
Also the bottom link is the epad with the VIA chipset, same as the M001. Very slow. My advice out of those 3 would be to buy the E7001, it is the only one with anywhere near acceptable performance.

pazvanti

Jun 19, 2010
I would definitely stay away from a VIA processor. It is very slow. The E7001 has been in the wild for some time and it is a nice tablet...for a 1.6 tablet. IF (and only if) only Android 1.6 tablets existed...than the E7001 would be my choice.

Freekers

Sep 5, 2010
Thanks again for all the replies, I greatly appreciate it !

I wouldnt trust that 2nd link if I were you, it is full of conflicting information. At one point it says it is a Samsung processor then underneath it claims it is ARM 11 architecture but states the processor is a Rockchip 2808, which is ARM 9. So apparently there are 3 different processor architectures in there. As far as I'm aware the only Chines OEM tablet with a Samsung processor is the EX900, which I believe this tablet to be. It has the Samsung 32bit ARM926EJ-S processor and is a low end tablet similar to the Eken M001. Also the price is too high for an EX900

Yup, you were right. I contacted the seller and he said the product information was wrong. It indeed was a RockChip CPU, so I did not buy it.

Also the bottom link is the epad with the VIA chipset, same as the M001. Very slow. My advice out of those 3 would be to buy the E7001, it is the only one with anywhere near acceptable performance.

I would definitely stay away from a VIA processor. It is very slow. The E7001 has been in the wild for some time and it is a nice tablet...for a 1.6 tablet. IF (and only if) only Android 1.6 tablets existed...than the E7001 would be my choice.

Thanks for alerting me about the VIA processor. I nearly bought the tablet, but after your advice, I watched a youtube movie and saw how long it takes to boot a tablet with a VIA processor.. nearly 2 minutes ! The other tablet in the video was done in like 20-30 seconds I believe.

Again, I searched, now with a friend of mine who already owns a tablet, and we found this tablet, which has a Telechips TCC8902 CPU, 256MB RAM and a 7 inch screen, but we don't have a clue what type or model it is:
Wholesale Table PC Product-Table PC

Because it was so cheap for a Telechips TCC8902 CPU, I mailed the seller to confirm if the price was right and it really had a Telechips TCC8902 CPU.
He replied promptly that it really had a Telechips TCC8902 CPU and the price was correct.
He also told me that the tablet has access to the android market and the model number is 'GL010'.. but I can't find a tablet which matches that model number..

Anyway, I ordered the tablet, because the price is very attractive. AliExpress uses an escrow service, so I don't have to fear I will lose my money (I have bought there before and I never had problems, it's really safe).
It will be shipped tomorrow by either DHL or EMS.. He will mail me the tracking number. Let's see how it goes.

If someone has an idea which tablet I bought (lol) please let me know ;) !

Thanks !

pazvanti

Jun 19, 2010
The pictures there are crap (excuse my language)...so it is hard to tell by that. From the specs it looks like a M7002 WITH GPS (it is the first tablet that has GPS and the TC 8902 CPU that I heard of)...that if the specs are correct. Please let us know when you get it. It seems at least interesting that it is so cheap and has those specs...

Freekers

Sep 5, 2010
The pictures there are crap (excuse my language)...so it is hard to tell by that. From the specs it looks like a M7002 WITH GPS (it is the first tablet that has GPS and the TC 8902 CPU that I heard of)...that if the specs are correct. Please let us know when you get it. It seems at least interesting that it is so cheap and has those specs...

The pictures are crap indeed. I laughed about them, Windows 7 lol or an iPad... but hey, it's the cheapest one around, and all that matters is the real product ;)

It doesn't have a GPS, that was optional... so you still think it's the M7002 except without GPS ?

Looking forward to your reply !

Freekers

Sep 5, 2010
When I have the actual product, I will make high resolution pictures and post all the details I have... Can't wait to get it. I am still not confident I will get a real Telechips 8902 CPU, because it's soo cheap ;)