Remove Cell Standby Service (Save Battery)

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
Since I'm connecting to my tablet with a Mac the batch file script doesn't do me much good. So I just followed the manual instructions:

Code:
./adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
./adb shell mv /system/app/Phone.apk /system/app/Phone.OLD
./adb shell mv /system/app/TelephonyProvider.apk /system/app/TelephonyProvider.OLD
./adb reboot

It complains about phone service app having stopped unexpectedly and displays a "Force Close" dialog on the tablet screen, which goes away as soon as you move the TelephonyProvider.apk. I'll be interested to see if this does increase my battery performance.

Last edited:

jellono

Jan 2, 2011
I ran into the same problem with the missing app. I rebooted the device then removed the second file. I would suggest using adb as it is easyer.

As for power.... I was able before this change to get 4 hours from a single chargecharge on a 9 inch model. We shall see i am chargeing tonight.

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
I wonder if this is applicable to other tablets as well?

I've noticed that running on my tablet and wondered if it is necessary to have running as a general thing?

It might be specific to certain models too, but it looks like a good way to save power based on what I see on my Haipad.

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
I'm in the process of seeing how long my tablet lasts. So far the only thing I've noticed is when I used to turn it on it would go from "Fully Charged" to "90% Power" in less than 30 seconds of being on. After applying this fix? It took 23 minutes (with Wi-Fi on) before it dropped to 90%.
And the results are in. Exactly 6 hours use time with the wi-fi on the entire time. That is almost double what I had been getting.

(on a Haipad M701-R btw)

Last edited: