[REVIEW] Ainol Novo 7 Aurora vs Ainol Novo 7 Elf: Which One Should You Get?

McBub.com

Jan 14, 2012
The Ainol Novo 7 Aurora and Ainol Novo 7 Elf are just two of the cheapest Android tablets available in the market today, that runs on the latest Android v4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich out of the box. The two Ainol Android tablets are the big brothers of Ainol Novo 7 Paladin, Novo 7 Basic and Novo 7 Advance.

The Ainol Novo 7 Elf is the predecessor of Novo 7 Aurora. The Novo 7 Elf was released last 2011 while the Novo 7 Aurora was just recently released this January 2012.
Right now, you might be in a situation where you can’t decide which one should you get, the Ainol Novo 7 Elf or the Ainol Novo 7 Aurora?
Before you decide which one should you buy, let’s compare their specifications, features and price. Below is a table comparing the Ainol Novo 7 Aurora and Novo 7 Elf’s specifications:
Ainol Novo 7 Aurora
Ainol Novo 7 Elf
Size and Weight:
189mm x 123mm x 9mm, 313 grams
190mm x 120mm x 12mm, 340grams
Operating System:
Android v4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
Android v4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
CPU:
AllWinner Many Core A10 1.2GHz processor
AllWinner Many Core A10 1.2GHz processor
GPU:
Mali 400
Mali 400
Memory:
1GB DDR3 RAM
1GB DDR3 RAM
Storage:
8GB internal storage
8GB internal storage
Display:
7 inch IPS Capacitive Screen 1024×600 pixel resolution
7-inch Multi-touch capacitive touch screen, 1024×600 resolution
Expandable Memory:
TF Card (microSD) up to 16GB
TF Card (microSD) up to 16GB
Camera:
Front facing 2 megapixel
Front facing 2 megapixel
Sensor:
Gravity Sensor
Gravity Sensor
Connectivity:
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, 3.5mm audio, mini USB, mini HDMI
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, 3.5mm audio, mini USB, mini HDMI
Battery:
3700MAh (up to 6 hours)
3700mAH (up to 6 hours)
Price:
Around $170 USD
Around $150 USD

Notice any difference? If you look at the specs, it looked like I just copy the specs of Novo 7 Aurora and pasted it on Novo 7 Elf. Well, it’s a YES and No.
Yes, I did copy MOST of the specs because, both the Ainol Novo 7 Aurora and Ainol Novo 7 Elf are ALMOST similar. The only main difference is that the Novo 7 Aurora has an IPS Capacitive Screen while the Novo 7 Elf doesn’t.

For those who do not know what IPS is, IPS stands for In-Plane Switching which was developed by Hitachi back in 1996. An IPS display gives you a better display, more vivid color, and a wider angle for viewing. See the comparison below.
ips-vs-non-ips.jpg

The price difference is around $25 USD. Is it worth the IPS upgrade? Well, if you are fine with a non-IPS display, and the $20 difference is big enough for you, then you might settle for the Ainol Novo 7 Elf. But if you’re looking for better display and don’t mind to spend a little more, then go for Ainol Novo 7 Aurora.

Another difference, but not in terms of their performance, is their finish. The Novo 7 Aurora has a glossy and shiny finish, while the Novo 7 Elf has a Matte finish.

Well, there you have it! There is no big difference between the two. Just the IPS display.

ensarj

Oct 23, 2012
The $25 is not a big difference. When you look at these 2 pictures, the difference is obvious. The $25 is really nothing in comparison to the extra quality you get. The Ainol tablets are really good, I am positively surprised, and the prices also seem very nice. I was looking at some Coby Kyros tablets, but these Ainol tablets look very good.

Last edited by a moderator:

TechnicGeek

Nov 13, 2012
Can you review Ainol Novo Aurora II which has 4000mAh? I recently heard it will not be produced anymore but what is your take on this?