[ROM] 1.2 Honeycomb Android Illuminate for The Gtablet\Zpad T2

steevdave

Aug 1, 2011
By the way, if you need any kernel assistance let me know. I may not have any/all the answers, but kernel work is actually my day job.

regork

Aug 10, 2011
Help, I applied this illuminate rom to a 1.2 stock system following the video. It is stuck on the Illuminate screen. does anyone have advice on how to fix it?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Help, I applied this illuminate rom to a 1.2 stock system following the video. It is stuck on the Illuminate screen. does anyone have advice on how to fix it?
I haven't given Illuminate a try, but I can help walk you through an install of Flashback or Bottle of Smoke if you're interesting in trying a different HC ROM.

-Matt

regork

Aug 10, 2011
Matt,
Sure, it is a brick now, so I would be interested in trying something better than the stock ROM.
Thanks

regork

Aug 10, 2011
I am having problems running the windows bat, it cannot find the USB device. I have clockworkMod Recover v3.0.2.2 and I recovery boot the its APX screen. I have 64bit windows 7, when I plug in the gtab it loads the NVIDA Terga 2 driver, I tried to update that driver w/ the one that I download from the link, but it said it was not compatible. Now when I reboot the gtab it stays in the recovery mode. do you have any suggestions?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Two thoughts....first, APX mode (screen) is all black. I think you get a quick display, and then all black. Remember you boot into APX mode by holding down Power and Volume-DOWN. It throws people because the screen is completely black.

Second thought: it seems Illuminate is not being supported as well as Flashback and Bottle of Smoke, so I'd politely suggest you head over to one of those threads/ROMs and get acquainted.

What I'd suggest doing at this point is getting comfortable with APX and nvflashing -> flash a clean stock 4349 (1.2 bootloader) image -> and then final step is flash...I'd recommend Flashback 7.1. :) I'd also steer away from how-to's that involve Illuminate, as I've seen more users than not get stuck installing it.

-Matt

regork

Aug 10, 2011
Matt - Is the clockworkmod screen actually a modified APX screen? my gtab boots into clockworkmod screen and sits there.

I could not get the nvflashing to work since the .bat could not find the USB device. I am not sure what I need to do to get the PC and gtab USB connected so nvflash can run? Does the gtab need to be turned on and at the clockworkmod screen to have the USB active? Is there something wrong on my PC end such as having the wrong USB driver (since my PC automaticlly loaded

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Matt - Is the clockworkmod screen actually a modified APX screen? my gtab boots into clockworkmod screen and sits there.

I could not get the nvflashing to work since the .bat could not find the USB device. I am not sure what I need to do to get the PC and gtab USB connected so nvflash can run? Does the gtab need to be turned on and at the clockworkmod screen to have the USB active? Is there something wrong on my PC end such as having the wrong USB driver (since my PC automaticlly loaded
As far as I know APX and CWM and totally unrelated. My sense is APX is a very low-level recovery system (maybe even on-chip) while CWM is all software and independent of APX.

The first step is a good, clean nvflash, so let's work on that. I agree with you that it looks like you don't have the right Windows driver installed. Forgive me if I already posted this, but:

[RECOVERY] nvflash FULL restore, using either 1.1 or 1.2 based images - [G-TABLET] - SlateDroid.com

Third, for Windows users, you'll need to have an APX-specific USB driver for the next steps. (The Windows package bekit supplied has an .inf file in it, but the actual drivers are not there). For Linux users, you don't need an extra driver.

One source for the Windows drivers is at

Advent | Vega Internet tablet

Find the "Downloads" tab in the middle of the page and click on "USB System Driver" to get the files. Extract them and go down two levels to the "USB" folder -- and move that into your "NVFlash" directory. The USB folder has the .inf file for installation in it along with two other directories with drivers for the various operating systems. (Note: These drivers, which are the same as the drivers in the SDK, are proven to work with Win 7 64-bit and have the setup include to load into other versions of Windows.) Follow this narrative for actual installation of the drivers....

...Windows users: When you connect to the PC, the PC immediately tries to load a driver -- but since it doesn't know where the USB driver files are it will fail. Click through Start/Control Panel/Device Manager and find "APX" listed in the devices with a yellow "!" (exclamation point) on the icon. Select the APX item and find the "Update Driver" button and click it. When it asks where to search, choose the local computer manual selection choice and tell it to Browse.

Point the Browse (and the USB install) at the "USB" directory under the "NVFlash" folder. When pointed at the "USB" directory, the driver installed and I was ready to nvflash. If you go back to Device Manager after the Windows install has completed, it will show the nVidia USB drivers near the top of the USB device list.
The quote above outlines how to download the driver. The thread provides a nice how-to on the whole nvflash procedure.

Once the APX driver is installed, this is what it looks like in Device Manager:

$Clipboard01.jpg

Give it a try and report back if it works!

-Matt

regork

Aug 10, 2011
I read your response, I believe that since I don't have APX loaded or booted and (CWM) is loaded - my PC does not try to load the APX USB driver, instead the PC thinks the gtab is a (USB) drive that may be whatever CWM or the OS ROM loaded has its own USB control when I follow the + and power instruction to get to APX. I am not sure on the instructions, but there must be a way to manually load the APX USB driver, but that may not do any good since the APX USB driver is not loaded on the gtab side when I have CWM booted. So I will try ur suggestions but maybe I need to find a way to load another rom from the SD card using CWM?

so i dont see:

...Windows users: When you connect to the PC, the PC immediately tries to load a driver -- but since it doesn't know where the USB driver files are it will fail. Click through Start/Control Panel/Device Manager and find "APX" listed in the devices with a yellow "!" (exclamation point) on the icon. Select the APX item and find the "Update Driver" button and click it. When it asks where to search, choose the local computer manual selection choice and tell it to Browse.

Point the Browse (and the USB install) at the "USB" directory under the "NVFlash" folder. When pointed at the "USB" directory, the driver installed and I was ready to nvflash. If you go back to Device Manager after the Windows install has completed, it will show the nVidia USB drivers near the top of the USB device list.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Ah, simple question: you know that you boot into APX mode by pressing Power and Volume-DOWN (the left side), correct? Power and Volume-UP is for recovery (e.g., CWM mode).

-Matt

regork

Aug 10, 2011
Nice catch, power + volume down goes into APX mode! now if was able to restore back to stock. Thanks for ur help!