[ROM] Karbonn Custom ST8 by fuser-invent

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
Hey, so I have two TWRP tests to see if we can get it booting off the external SD card. I can do another test if these don't work. Try the one titled "TWRP_unpack-repack-test.zip" first and "TWRP_changed_fstab_test.zip" second if the first one doesn't work. So inside those zips are two folders, one has the ST8 TWRP and the other has the ST10 TWRP, so make sure you grab the correct one. Just take the "uImage_recovery" and place it on the external SD card for the test. Thanks again for doing the testing. Hopefully I can get this working for everyone.

Saurabh_Joshi

Mar 3, 2013
Ok got it I will 1st flash stock recovery. Then i will test your TWRP test. Btw i can only test them out on ST8. Will be back soon with results.

Saurabh_Joshi

Mar 3, 2013

Thanks a lot. Flashed it successfully.

Now tested your both TWRP uImage's and both worked. Only issue is I need to boot into recovery using hardware button combinations only. If I use rom toolbox to reboot in recovery it will goto stock recovery. Even same from TWRP if I use reboot into recovery it will start stock one. Is it because of stock is loaded in a separate partition? Or can u make uImage to work the same way?

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
Great thank you! You are correct that rebooting into recovery would send you to the stock recovery because that is the recovery that it written to the NAND partition. It is not possible to reboot into a recovery that is not written to that partition, like the one you are booting off the external SD card. So here is the last test, if it works. Boot into the TWRP that you put on your external SD card and then flash this TWRP file from TWRP to write it to you recovery partition. Then remove the uImage_recovery from your external SD card and see if it boots into TWRP instead of the stock recovery. If it does then you have flashed TWRP to your recovery partition successfully and can now use a "reboot into recovery" option. You can always flash the stock recovery zip if you need to go back.

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
Karbonn Custom ST8 - v1.4 by fuser-invent
--- ROM Based on firmware DUMP of the Official Stock Firmware ---

Change Log

Karbonn Custom v1.4

• Added Extended Power Menu
  • Possible VPN fix
  • Possible better Wifi
  • Defaulted back to 3G / Ethernet / Data enabled
  • Removed 3G / Ethernet / Data enabler zip
  • CPU wake/sleep scripts are back in system/etc/virtuous_oc
  • Updated Additional Apps package
  • Added new TWRP package

-----

As usual this is untested because I don't own the tablet, so have a TWRP backup ready or flash the older version if it doesn't work. Report back so I and others can know.

• The "bootloader" option in the extended power menu just reboots the tablet since these tablets don't have the kind of bootloader you can boot into.
  • If you want to edit the wake/sleep min/max frequencies you can do so in the virtuous_oc folder. If you change the wake governor to something other than performance2 then you won't benifit from the the 02cpu script in the init.d folder. Be careful with frequencies because they can cause problems if you don't set them correctly. Also, don't try to overclock your device, it won't work and will cause problems.
  • The TWRP packages are flashable from TWRP and are the newest released by ozadroid. I've fixed them so that you can place the uImage_recovery file inside the zip on your external SD card and boot into TWRP that way. This does not overwrite the stock recovery but just allows you to use TWRP, if you delete the uImage_recovery file from the external SD card you will still have the stock recovery. If you want to be able to reboot into TWRP from the extended power menu then you need to flash TWRP. Just put the uImage_recovery file on your external SD card, boot into TWRP and then flash the TWRP zip. At ozadroid's request, please do not re-post the TWRP's anywhere, give him credit and link back to his XDA page.
  • The additional apps package now has two new apps. One is called Market Helper which is an app to temporarily change/fake your tablet to appear as if it was another device so that you can download non-compatible apps from the app market. The other app is called LMT Launcher and among other things, it has the cool PIE launcher that you may have seen in the new Paranoid Android ROM's. You do need to set it up manually though. If you like these apps, consider donating to the developers because they are useful and really cool.

All the ROM files and the TWRP recovery can be found in the main Karbonn Custom folder and the additional apps package can be downloaded directly from this link.

Last edited:

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
Yes I got the report on another thread. Hopefully will be able to fix it next version. v1.3 is still available in the downloads folder if you'd rather go back to that one.

Saurabh_Joshi

Mar 3, 2013
Hi fuser,

I am following that XDA thread as well.

I tested your fix for Extended Power Menu on the ST8 and also your fix for mouse cursor.

Both the zip's flashed successfully and are working fine. I can use the power menu and the mouse cursor works now.

You are a life saver. Thanks a lot. Amazingly you have transformed my tab.

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
Hey everyone. So the new versions of Karbonn Custom ST8 and ST10 v1.5 are in your tablets folder on my MediaFire. As usual these should be considered Beta until some people test them since I don't have the tablets to actually flash them myself. Make sure you have an older version of Karbonn Custom on your SD card in case they don't work so you can flash back and make a backup of your device with TWRP just to be safe. Chances are they will work just fine but you never know.

I'm not going to write up a fancy changelog because I'm super busy but there is a new bootanimation and default wallpaper. The power menu fix is now built into the ROM so you don't need that anymore. I fixed some things that were causing transfers of large files to fail between the device and the computer as well as the external and internal sd card. I tweaked a few things for better overall performance. I'm not sure if I posted this yet but there is a v1.6 of the additional apps zip file in this folder, it includes an app called LMT that has the PIE interface from PA3+ and CM10.1 which I personally like a lot. It also has a new app called Market Helper which allows you to temporarily spoof your tablet to appear to google play like it is another popular tablet or spoof your tablet to appear as if it from a different region so you can download apps that you normally can't download.

I also attempted to fix some of the module support. At the moment I can't compile my own modules specifically for your tablet so they may or may not work. You can use 'adb shell lsmod' to see which ones are loaded and if anyone checks it out please post the results here so I know which ones work and which don't. They are compiled for tablets with your device specs and modded for your kernel so I'm hopping they will load. So you might or might not get vpn, some game controller support and various other things. Please let me know if you test things and they work. Lastly, I have a feeling that the build in mouse fix isn't working properly, so if you do use a mouse with your tablet you will probably still have to flash the mouse fix zip but let me know if you find it does work without the mouse fix zip.

On another note, I understand from talking to some people that most the Karbonn owners live in India and don't have access to make donation by paypal but if any of you do, please consider a donation. My external hard drive went down and I lost a great deal of my firmware development stuff, among a lot of other backups. Luckily I had the most recent stuff on my laptops hard drive but I have very little space on here and I'm going to have to purchase a new drive soon. I also think the wifi chip on my 10" tablet died, I've spent a good 20 hours trying to find a work around to fix it with no luck and I was doing a good deal of actual development on that and then transferring it over to other devices.

So, providing this release work for all your guys and gals, this is going to be the last major update for a while. I think I've taken the stock ROM's pretty far into better performance and stability with my work and it's time to re-focus on learning to build from source and attempt to compile JB 4.2.2. I'm leaning towards a modified CM10.1 at the moment and have already set up a dev environment to start learning how to build it. It looks like I'll need to upgrade the primary solid state drive in my laptop though and possibly the secondary storage drive as well since it takes a good deal of space to get things done. Once I get the new hardware and start compiling I will attempt to bring CM10.1 to your tablet but I'm starting from zero knowledge and it may take a while. However, I only started developing custom firmware in December and am completely self taught, so I have faith that I will be able to learn this as well. I will drop by this thread from time to time to check in, especially in the next week or two to make sure the new version of Karbonn Custom are working correctly. I wish you all well and hope you enjoy your tablets!

thontepu

Jun 24, 2013
Hi, The rom released is quite stable and touch responsive (not always but sometimes). Can you port some kernel and rom to ST8 as I felt that touch sluggishness might be bcoz of kernel. and also my battery efficiency was very good after doing following changes in build.prop file ro.wifi.channels=14 (from stock ROM) and hw.nophone=true (all the phone features are turned off) and reboot

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
Hi, The rom released is quite stable and touch responsive (not always but sometimes). Can you port some kernel and rom to ST8 as I felt that touch sluggishness might be bcoz of kernel. and also my battery efficiency was very good after doing following changes in build.prop file ro.wifi.channels=14 (from stock ROM) and hw.nophone=true (all the phone features are turned off) and reboot

Unfortunately, no source code means no custom kernels. Petition your manufacturer to release the source code.

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
As of today there have been 104,688 downloads of my Android custom firmware packages in over 10 different countries since December. Crazy!

Please consider a donation if you are one of the 104,688. Even if it is just $1, that is less than a cup of coffee for something you use everyday! Thanks for the support!

Saurabh_Joshi

Mar 3, 2013
Hi I have one issue. The mini HDMI port is not working for me with your custom 1.5 ROM. How to get the feature back have you disable it? How to reenable it?
I had a twrp backup of stock ROM. Mini HDMI works with that but not with your custom ROM.