Rooting, CWM, and adding Apps/ROMS........HELP!!!!!

wibbn8

Nov 27, 2012
Tried again. Rooted properly, system dump great (TONS of files) but still no cwm load. Havent tried on other tab yet but this is getting frustrating. When I recover with cwm from utility it only pushes 9-13 files. Tried reloading cwm.zip and it still only pushes 13 files. Is this correct? Still rebooting to my laid out droid!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Where did you get the impression that you install CWM from a ZIP file? You must use the .IMG file compressed in the ZIP, copy it to the root utilty's data directory, rename it to cwm_recovery.img, and run the utility to install it. Trying to install the ZIP using the stock recovery will do nothing but give you a headache.

Link to this zip file please?

Last edited:

wibbn8

Nov 27, 2012
I didnt think that was the case but your instructions were kinda sketchy (to me at least.) Just thought Id ask to make sure. Everything involved in this rooting/modding comes from .zip files. Like I said before, Ive tried it both ways and still have nothing. I tried it the correct way first in case youre wondering but the link to said .zip file is in YOUR sticky "READ FIRST:......" Under "Install ClockworkMod Recovery". Im using the link for "If using a 7042, 8042, or 9742, download a ClockworkMod recovery image from this thread" This IS the correct one, right?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Actually, the instructions neglected to mention the recovery images being in zip files because I had forgotten that little detail. It was corrected hours ago.

The instructions in the sticky are rather plain and to the point. They explain exactly what to do to get the job done. If you are still getting the stock recovery even after running the utility, there's not much else I can recommend, except installing the Amazon Appstore and calling it a day.

wibbn8

Nov 27, 2012
Thats what I thought. Like I stated before, I followed them to a T but with no luck. The (crazy) things I asked about were just last ditch efforts at hopefully getting somewhere! Im going to keep trying with the other tabs, maybe its just the one. Maybe not. Ill fill you in if I have any luck. Thanks Traveller!!! p.s. You might also want to correct the "usb storage" issue too for all us noobs out there! Thanks again Traveller and I hope to be getting in touvh with good news soon!

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Yeah, I kinda thought that. After that last post I did some deeper research and realized that cw never loaded. Wonder whats going on there? Ill look up Traveller and se if he can help. Id eventually love to learn linux but unfortunately right now I just dont have the time. Thanks Vampirefo!

As one who used vampirefo's "linux users...without livesuite" instructions, I did it all using ADB from windows.

You dont need to know how to use linux, just follow instructions. If you have ADB and the drivers, just open a dos prompt, cd to the folder with ADB.exe and follow the steps.

Once you have cwm recovery, you can make a backup and then load the googeapps zip.

bbello

Dec 6, 2012
Traveller1701, I'm new to this and trying to this on a Coby MID8042 for my daughter. I followed your steps in "Read First:..." up to downloading Vampirefo's 8042_9742_recovery.zip, then i got stuck on the steps for making a copy of the stock recovery before finding this thread. How do I copy the stock recovery.img file in my tablet's dump folder to the utility data folder on my PC, so I can install cwm? Already copied the recovery.img file from Vimpirefo's extracted zip files to the utility data folder and renamed it cwm_recovery.img. Any help, on what is most likely a basic task would be appricated, while I catch up on the learning curve. Thanks

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If you made a system dump you should have a dump directory in the folder where the root utility is located. From there, right-click to copy.

And you're right. This is basic and you should know it.

bbello

Dec 6, 2012
If you made a system dump you should have a dump directory in the folder where the root utility is located. From there, right-click to copy.

And you're right. This is basic and you should know it.

I don't have that on my PC, guess I must have messed up or missed a step. I try again and let you know thanks.