[Rumor] Google May Actually Launch Heads-Up Display Android Glasses By End of 2012

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
oakley-thump.jpg

At the end of this year, your next Android device may not be a smartphone or tablet at all. According to some fairly detailed industry intel, not only is Google working on a set of digital heads-up display glasses... they are also very close to reality. In fact, it is very likely we will see a set of Android-powered digital heads-up display shades with 3G/4G & GPS tracking by the end of this year. The report indicated that this project is primarily just an experiment by the Google engineers; however, this particular "experiment" is actually being lead by none other than Sergey Brin and Steve Lee. If you will recall, Sergey Brin is one of the co-founders of Google, and Steve Lee is the engineer that is responsible for creating Latitude. Accordingly, if the experiment turns out to be a success, then Google will look at making the glasses for potential business model & revenue streams.

Regardless, the HUD glasses will supposedly be priced in the $250 to $600 range, and will also boast a low-resolution camera that can monitor things in real-time and provide location specific augmented reality information. It is interesting to note that Google is paying attention to any possible privacy implications that this feature might touch upon, and Google is developing the system so that it can "ensure that people know if they are being recorded by someone wearing a pair of glasses with a built-in camera."

Further info suggests that the glasses could be similar in styling to Oakley Thumps, and will also have built in motion sensors that help the user navigate through the interface. Seth Weintraub, a blogger for 9 to 5 Google, seems to have dug up some additional info on that navigation system. He said, “The navigation system currently used is a head tilting to scroll and click. We are told it is very quick to learn and once the user is adept at navigation, it becomes second nature and almost indistinguishable to outside users.”

All I can say is... if they make them look as cool as a pair of Oakleys, so that when I wear them I don't look like a reject from a bad eighties "Revenge of the Nerds" sequel, then sign me up for a pair! What do you guys think?

Source: DroidMatters

geckoT2C

Jan 24, 2012
funny how the world is totally moving towards sci-fi movies. is it doing that because science fiction writers are able to predict the future or because we accept the scifi writers' image of the future as what it should be?

hmm...waaay too deep for 2 am :)

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
Perhaps it's simply inherently in our nature to create what we imagine. The other question is... are we really ever creating new ideas, or are they simply filtered to us from some collective unconscious that has it all figured out from the beginning to the end? Maybe we are part of that collective mind, but we imagine ourselves as separate and limited for the experience of re-discovering the infinite possibilities of ideas that exist completely outside of time.

Or... God farted and humans were the result... it could really go either way I suppose. :)

juhni

Dec 5, 2011
You know someone will drive with these on

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum