[Rumor] Google & Samsung Team-Up: 10-Inch Nexus Tablet (2,560x1,600 display & 299PPI)

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
samsung-nexus-10-inch-tab-mockup.jpeg

The above image is a mockup and may not reflect the final product.

A new rumor from a very reputable source suggests that Google and Samsung are teaming up to build a 10-Inch Nexus tablet designed to compete directly with Apple's iPad line. Not many details have been revealed about this new tablet, except that it will have insane display specs. According to the intel, the display will be capable of 2,560x1,600 resolution & 299 PPI. This smokes the newest iPad which has 264 PPI & 2,048x1,536 on a 9.7-inch display.

The info comes from Richard Shim, an analyst at NPD DisplaySearch. Mr. Shim shared, "It's going to be a high-end device. They'll partner with Samsung and cobrand it with Samsung." Shim shared that this info comes from, "supply chain indications." As a sidenote, Shim also confirmed that Google will be releasing a $99 dollar tablet in December.

Source: CNET

Angus66

Oct 17, 2011
Sounds like it could be an impressive device.

My only request:

Make the device feel like the Tab 2 series (or the Nexus 7) in the hands.
The Note 10.1 feels like a cheap toy compared to the Tab 2 devices and Samsung can - and has - done better.

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
This will be an impressive device.

Probably not cheap, but it's nice to see a quality Android tablet, head to head with iPads.

I like the 3:4 aspect ratio for tablets more though; also for desktop or laptop screens to be honest. Still, neat. :)

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Angus66 said:
Sounds like it could be an impressive device.

My only request:

Make the device feel like the Tab 2 series (or the Nexus 7) in the hands.
The Note 10.1 feels like a cheap toy compared to the Tab 2 devices and Samsung can - and has - done better.

All samsung devices seem to have plastic cases, it would be nice if they moved away from this design. I would like to see some of the Note technology included here, definitely the dual mode wifi, the front facing speakers should be a No Brainer for any entertainment device, I imagine the multitasking may be out as it really wouldn't be a "pure" Google device and the Wacom digitizer would probably be too niche but I can dream.
It is about time Samsung built a high end device to go up directly against the iPad, I mean what was the point of the Tab 2 really, Samsung was just treading water and trying to make a cheaper 10.1. While I think the Note blows away the Apple it is probably beause the stylus is so useful to the way I use a device, and it really doesn't try to beat Apple at its own game. A Google Samsung Device, as long as they don't try to hit too cheap a price point, might just be able to. Not that there aren't great devices already out but a Samsung Google partnership could carry the gravitas needed to stand toe to toe with Apple.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Oh, and one other thing, it would be great if they used the quad core Exynos processor, the Tegra 3 is a great chip but the Exynos is simply the most powerful processor out there today, much faster than anything else including Apples processor.