S7 GPS is very good!

Jan 26, 2011
My reason for buying the S7 was for boating in the summer. First app I bought was Navionics for charting and navigating. My concern has been where to put the S7 when under way, as my Garmin portable GPS (several years old), wants to have clear line of sight.

I downloaded a free app from the Android Market called "GPS Test," fired it up while sitting in my living room, and lo and behold the S7 sees nine satellites, and will give accuracy to within 20 feet. Nice!

I am very impressed with the S7.

npmt

Dec 6, 2010
Agreed, im very impressed with s7 as a gps device, i can get a lock even in basement

Sent from my S7 using Tapatalk

Music

Feb 5, 2011
OK, I know this too, but the S7 DOESN'T HAVE GPS WITHOUT A DATAPLAN!! (from the huawei customer service guy.)

So I'll just keep on using my "free" GPS reception :D

50cals

Jan 5, 2011
I dont have a dataplan, and use my s7 gps just fine.......

Sent from my S7 thru space & time

shanksv

Nov 13, 2010
OK, I know this too, but the S7 DOESN'T HAVE GPS WITHOUT A DATAPLAN!! (from the huawei customer service guy.)

So I'll just keep on using my "free" GPS reception :D

Receiving GPS signal does not require a data plan. Depending on the mapping software you may or may not. So if you go with Google, Bing etc. you need a data plan, if you go with Coplilot, ndrive etc. you do not need a data plan.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
That's correct about the certain apps that get the location data through the 3g system, but the Huawei guy told me there is no GPS reception on the S7. According to the 4 GPS-based apps I've tried so far, there IS GPS data coming from the device. There is even a little GPS icon in the top row when you are getting GPS data.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
That's correct about the certain apps that get the location data through the 3g system, but the Huawei guy told me there is no GPS reception on the S7. According to the 4 GPS-based apps I've tried so far, there IS GPS data coming from the device. There is even a little GPS icon in the top row when you are getting GPS data.

What Huawei guy told you this?

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Beats me, he I didn't get a name. He just kept on telling me the same thing even after I told him that my GPS apps were getting GPS data. Then he tried to sell me a phone data plan.

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
I have copilot live v8 and it works great. Use wifi to download maps once and you're good to go. No data plan necessary. Also, a gps check by gps test put me in my house within 10 feet of the room I was in. Very cool

Sent from my S7

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I have noticed that with my huawei, the position seems to get more accurate if you wait a little. But when you're driving, you use your eyes & brain to figure out exactly where to make a turn, etc.

And they want GPS-guide cars?? YEESH!

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Beats me, he I didn't get a name. He just kept on telling me the same thing even after I told him that my GPS apps were getting GPS data. Then he tried to sell me a phone data plan.

I wasn't asking for a name. Were you talking to an actual Huawei rep on the phone or a Best Buy salesman (BIG difference). Point is, the latter (in general) don't really know anything about the capabilities of the S7 and should generally be ignored as a source of reliable technical information about the tab.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
O, OK. I called the U.S. number for Huawei customer service, because I felt that the battery on my device was bad, and not holding a charge, and wanted a new battery. I wouldn't ask the people at Best Buy for technical tips- They tried to steer me away from buying the S7 to get a Galaxy tab! Three salespeople!

I think that with a few more careful charge cycles and airplane mode, the battery will be fine, at least for a while, or until the new model comes out.