Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus Launches for $400 On November 13th

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
samsung-galaxy-tab-plus-7.jpg

The new refresh of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus will hit store shelves on November 13h for $399.99. It has been confirmed for several retailers, including Best Buy, Amazon, and Tiger Direct. It's a bit on the pricey side, but actually has some beefy specs and some unique features that make it tempting anyway. Here's a recap:
  • Android Honeycomb
  • 7-inch display with a 1024 x 600-pixel resolution
  • 16GB of storage
  • 1.2GHz dual-core processor
  • Built-in infrared capabilities that will allow users to control their home theater and TV setup directly from the tablet
That last feature seems like the most intriguing reason to consider it. Here's the press release.
Samsung Expands U.S. Tablet Portfolio with Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus

Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus Featuring Peel Smart Remote App Delivers Powerful “Discover, Tap and Watch” Home Entertainment Experience

DALLAS and SANTA CLARA, Calif.– October 21, 2011 – Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile), the No. 1 mobile phone provider in the U.S.1, and Samsung Electronics America today announced the upcoming availability of the Samsung Galaxy Tab™ 7.0 Plus featuring Peel Smart Remote TV application. Peel allows users to instantly find and watch their favorite TV shows and discover new shows based on their preferences, all with the tap of a screen.

Offering a portable, rich multimedia experience on a 7-inch display, the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus packs power and productivity into a chic lightweight design, weighing just 345g and measuring 9.96mm thin. The Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus runs Google AndroidTM Honeycomb platform, enabling an easy and intuitive user experience. In addition, the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus delivers a smooth and intuitive user experience with powerful performance powered by a 1.2GHz dual core processor.

Featuring built-in infrared capabilities, the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus can control the user’s home theater/TV setup. The Peel integration on the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus goes beyond the Peel application available for download today by no longer requiring additional hardware or cables for TV control functionality. Peel allows users to control any home entertainment system regardless of manufacturer.

Peel displays personalized programming recommendations in an intuitive and content-driven graphical interface, completely eliminating the need to scroll through traditional channel-listing grids. The application’s home screen displays colorful thumbnail images of “Top Picks,” or favorite shows. Touch one of the thumbnails and the application displays what channel that show is on as well as a brief description of the episode that is playing. Simply tap “Watch On TV” and the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus will automatically change the channel to the selected program.

“The Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus optimized with the innovative Peel application will enable users to connect seamlessly to view their favorite TV shows,” said Dale Sohn, president of Samsung Mobile. “Our partnership with Peel further builds on Samsung’s convergence strategy to create enhanced user experiences.”

Peel combined with the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus can control the entire home entertainment system, including the TV, set-top box, DVD, Blu-ray player and AV audio system. Peel will provide Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus users with a social aspect as well, connecting them directly to Facebook and Twitter to share what they are watching with their social networks.

“This partnership continues Peel’s vision of eliminating the barriers between you and your favorite shows,” said Greg Lindley, chief experience officer for Peel. “The Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus – with its built in IR remote functionality – is a great platform for the Peel app and creates an ideal second screen experience for any TV lover.”

The 16GB Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus will be available nationwide through Best Buy, Amazon, Tiger Direct, Fry’s and other fine retailers starting November 13th for $399.99. Pre-orders will begin October 23rd with select partners.

Samsung’s relationship with Peel is part of Samsung’s overall commitment to convergence and the companies are working to integrate the Peel Smart Remote Application into future Samsung mobile devices.
Source: GalaxyTabForums.net and GalaxyForums.net[/url[

Yodaman

Oct 24, 2011
While I can appreciate Samsung’s valiant attempt at the 7.0” market, they seemed to ignore the pricing implications of the Amazon Kindle Fire. In my humble opinion I think Samsung may want to re-visit their marketing strategy. Amazon’s Kindle Fire and Acers A100 make it difficult to swallow a $399 price point.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
While I can appreciate Samsung’s valiant attempt at the 7.0” market, they seemed to ignore the pricing implications of the Amazon Kindle Fire. In my humble opinion I think Samsung may want to re-visit their marketing strategy. Amazon’s Kindle Fire and Acers A100 make it difficult to swallow a $399 price point.

Hard to say really, even at that price I would likely choose it over either of the others, although I really need to see what kind of battery life we are talking about. My current 7'' Galaxy Tab has been a trouble free traveling companion for some time.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

AndroidIsTheTruth

Aug 15, 2010
What a rip off if you ask me. Samsung feeling themselves a little too much. Although I do like their progress in the mobile department.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
What a rip off if you ask me. Samsung feeling themselves a little too much. Although I do like their progress in the mobile department.

Not sure what the problem is, the one thing I love is choice and Samsung is giving us a little more. The more models and choices, not just 4 or 5 companies putting out basically the exact same device, the better. Samsung is offering multiple screen size choices to consumers and that is a great thing. With Asus giving us unique capabilties in their tablet offerings, Sony entering the field, I see an exciting future for Android tablet fans.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

AndroidIsTheTruth

Aug 15, 2010
I only say this is a off because I can get quality name brand at a 10.1 screen at the same price. $399 for an upgraded Galaxy Tab is honestly too much. And it's not even running HC.

Yodaman

Oct 24, 2011
Competition is excellent in the market place and competition should drive prices down, and that is exactly the impact the Amazon Kindle Fire has. While the Fire doesn’t run Honeycomb, is does provided competition to a market that just regurgitates a 10”’ tablet in a 7” for factor and expects the consumer to purchase it for the same price. Samsung seems to have ignored market forces. Same thing happened to the HTC Flyer and we know how many they have sold. The market seems to love the $199 price point for a 7” tablet. How many Fires are projected to sell, 5 million in its first quarter?

Yodaman

Oct 24, 2011
The difficult thing for manufactures is it probably cost close to the same to produce a 7” as a 10” tablet.