Samsung Working Toward Bezel-Free Tech with Flexible Displays as Early as 2012

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
bezel-free-folded-samsung-smartphone-mockup.png

While this story relates primarily to smartphones at first... it is worth reporting here because the advancement will have far reaching applications in future tablets as well. Samsung may be eliminating bezels on their smartphones as early as this year. A new report from Richard Windsor, a senior technology analyst at Normura Group, indicates that Samsung is striving to eliminate bezels in 2012 by bringing flexible displays to market sooner than expected. Supposedly, this new flexible tech will allow them to fold/wrap the screen around the sides of the phone and the material would be an unbreakable plastic substrate.

seamlessfoldabledisplay.jpg

Here is a quote from Mr. Windsor,

We expect Samsung to mass produce such panels for smartphones in 2012, which we believe would be more popular that the current OLED display equipped in SEC’s Galaxy S II … Plastic displays will change the perception of handsets and tablet PCs in terms of design, thickness, and weight, and this would clearly differentiate Samsung’s products from others, in our view. This is why we like Samsung.

This is interesting from multiple angles. Of course, the obvious is that it is pretty cool tech to be bringing to market, and could be a remarkable leap forward in technology. The second, is that this will put additional pressure on Apple, because now, Samsung will truly have some fairly disruptive new tech before Apple does. It seems like 2012 is going to be an exciting year for tech-heads!

Source: AndroidPolice

geckoT2C

Jan 24, 2012
that, along with paper thin information displays should be the next big invention!

Pwake

Mar 12, 2012
I left Apple recently with my first Android phone and now looking at a tablet. I was sold on the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tablet with version. 2 coming out soon and then heard about the Asus tablet. Anyone have input on tbese two tablets? I'm not a gamer or a techno geek just looking for a good all around personal use and light business use tablet. Thanks!