Scratch one off the list, no Android Tablets from HP

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009
hp-android-tablets.jpg

We all know that the market will soon be flooded with tablets from a myriad of manufacturers... but one big name thought to be on that list perviously won't be: HP.

HP of course acquired Palm and all of it's assets around 6 months ago and it has begun to integrate into the HP Product Stream. Previously in development was an Android Tablet which worked with an HP Printer, the eStation. That, sadly, will be the only Android Tablet to come out of HP according to Jon Rubinstein. Jon is the former CEO of Palm and is now in charge of HP's gadget business -- so he should know a thing or two about the situation.

Instead, HP will concentrate on making webOS tablets. It's a gamble, but at the very least separates HP from all the other Tablet makers. Will the gamble pay off? I'm guessing no, but then again I'm biased.

What are your thoughts?

(Source: VentureBeat)

freeder

Aug 20, 2010
I had bad experience with HP. I own a HP laptop and the quality just failed me. There have been many reports around the world on HP laptop LCD failure. I am just speechless about this GIANT's accountability of it product quality.

new2city

Aug 31, 2010
Just to join in to release some stress... HP sucks, received a tablet from them few years ago, DOA!!, got a free HP printer for buying a Sony Vaio and guest what, it died after I bought some replacement ink cartridge, recently purchase a AIO printer from them.. died a few months after I purchase a CISS system to go with it..

shame on me to go for HP again... yeah, I know...

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
HP does not suck at the products that matter. They make terrible consumer products, but that's not their bread-and-butter. Their business and enterprise solutions are best in industry.

They makes some of the best Windows 7 tablets on the market today. Their TM2 line is really good for the money. I had a TX2500, which admittedly wasn't so good, but HP has been very proactive in pushing a touch interface. Windows just happened to be terrible for it. Their Windows Mobile devices were also rock solid and are still excellent for corporate use.

HP is the reason I fell in love with tablets. They made tablet devices available to consumers like you and me. Before anyone else did.

It's really a shame that they are not doing Android. But you can bet that whatever they come up with wont be a simple flop. They have so much expertise. I have that much faith in them.

People who have bad experience with HP are buying the low end products. If you buy their business grade stuff, you will love them.

freeder

Aug 20, 2010
HP does not suck at the products that matter. They make terrible consumer products, but that's not their bread-and-butter. Their business and enterprise solutions are best in industry.

They makes some of the best Windows 7 tablets on the market today. Their TM2 line is really good for the money. I had a TX2500, which admittedly wasn't so good, but HP has been very proactive in pushing a touch interface. Windows just happened to be terrible for it. Their Windows Mobile devices were also rock solid and are still excellent for corporate use.

HP is the reason I fell in love with tablets. They made tablet devices available to consumers like you and me. Before anyone else did.

It's really a shame that they are not doing Android. But you can bet that whatever they come up with wont be a simple flop. They have so much expertise. I have that much faith in them.

People who have bad experience with HP are buying the low end products. If you buy their business grade stuff, you will love them.

I do agree with what you said that some range of product were good and reliable. That is the reason why I get a HP in the first place. I had used their product range from PDA to Server. With all respect, I don't agree that any product line should be compromise on their quality. Recently I feel they have lack behind on certain area. I do hope they buck up on their quality.

Sent from my M701 using Tapatalk

foxra

Sep 30, 2010
heh, i'm a Pre guy, and love the Web OS, so having it on a printer i'd say would be HORRIBLE. its not designed at all with a "printer" in mind. i mean, that's just as bad as the printer that came out (i forget who made it) that could play internet games and such. who would buy a PRINTER to play GAMES? so yea, having the WebOS on a printer would be alittle, what's the word. . . pathetic and WAY over powered. now a tablet that works with the printer on the other hand, would be AMAZING. WebOS would probably be the single best OS ever to come out to a tablet. with the proper processor, and a decent graphics chip, it would FLY off shelves within days. WebOS on the current Pre and Pixi does not really do the OS justice. its a GREAT OS, its just the DEVICE can't handle it as well as it should. i mean, true to life multitasking without actually having to have a Windows OS type thing loaded is pure awesome. you could do ANYTHING using a WebOS tablet. although sure there wouldn't be any Flash support until the right people get their heads outa their asses, but if you're on a tablet that is only a small portion of anything really. being able to read your email, write one, listen to music, and carry on an instant message conversation all at the SAME time is just amazing. you can't do that with any android device, nor can you on an iPod Touch/iPhone. once the PalmPad gets thrown out to the people of the world, it may not start off with as much bang as the iPad did, but once people start buying them, and word gets out, they will probably out sell the iPad IF they can get some worth while apps. honestly, that is the ONLY thing that really would hold back the PalmPad, the lack of good apps. there are plenty of games, but no real useful apps. its kind of like the apps catalog for the iPhone and iPod Touch when it first launched, but once more devices get out into the world and it gets fine tuned, WebOS would make an EXTREMELY good OS for tablets. applications are easy to code as well. pretty much any and all web related programming languages will work on it, since the OS is nothing but web code anyway (all HTML, HTML5, Java, stuff like that). you can even program things in C or C++ and convert them into the proper code to use. not to mention they have something like a visual basic/eclipse type application creator as well.

once all the PalmPad stuff gets sorted out, and the tablet gets sent out for all of us wonderful people, they'll fall in love. sure i love the Android OS, but using the tablet doesn't feel like i'm using anything more than an oversized cell phone. . . its just like any other phone except bigger..

but i am ALMOST on the same page as those who don't like HP. i can not stand most of their laptops, but that is because of their mouse pads lol. every one i've used, the mouse pad is either way to close to the keys, or the mouse buttons are either flush with the pad, or depressed below the pad, causing me to accidently move the mouse when i go to click. i love my Compaq laptop, even though HP basically owns them, but at least this laptop has lasted me forever. only problem i have with it is the power cord got chewed up by the dog, and i had to replace it. and then within a few months after that, it stopped charging. i went to investigate and thought it was the actual connector port on the laptop since the plug was really lose. so i took it apart to try and tighten it up, but when putting it back together i found they had tamper proof clips that hold the mouse pad's, and the power/wireless button's ribbon cables to the motherboard. and after all this, i found out that the ground wire in my power cord had broke, and so i took it apart for absolutely nothing haha. sooooooooo now my laptop is being held together with strips of paper and duct tape lmfao!