SD Expansion on Nexus 7

MakeItRAIN

Jun 30, 2012
Hey all! I've seen the Nexus 7 on-line and noticed that there is no SD slot. Out of curiosity, would it be possible to use the micro-USB cable, a duel female USB cable and an SD to USB drive, to allow external storage?

If it's a bit complicating then it would look something like this:

TABLET>Micro-USB>Female to female USB>Flash Drive/SD adapter.

Thanks to anyone who could answer this! :)

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
You can add mass storage by purchasing a WiFi external hard drive but that wouldn't exactly be convenient.

GeorgeForeman

Jul 5, 2012
Can anyone tell me if I can make a partition on my computer's hard drive to act as a wifi hard drive for my Nexus 7?

DrKokandy

Jul 5, 2012
Can anyone tell me if I can make a partition on my computer's hard drive to act as a wifi hard drive for my Nexus 7?

You can use free apps such as ES File Explorer from estrongs.com (link: ES File Explorer ) to access any Samba (SMB) shares.
  • If you have a windows PC, this is just called Sharing - right-click any folder (or partition) and click "Properties..." then "Sharing" - if you do not have your PC set up for sharing, it should walk you through it.
  • If you run Linux on your PC, you will need to install the samba package and either use the GUI in Nautilus (if you run Ubuntu or similar) or use the terminal if not.
  • Macs can do this type of sharing too, but I'm not familiar with how to do it, but Mac OS X: Sharing your files with non-Apple computers should get you started.

ttweed

May 12, 2012
There seems to be a rather spirited dispute about whether or not (and how) mass storage may be possible with the Nexus 7 on the sister forum. I think we'll have to wait until they are actually delivered to finally resolve this question. The few that are out in the field now are pre-production and are already receiving OTA JB 4.1 updates from Google. Who knows what may be possible with the final firmware (or future updates)?

TT

nick789uk

May 23, 2011
Hi yes mass storage is possible first you will have to root the nexus by going here Nexus Root Toolkit v1.5 then down load stickmount from play I then use OTG cable also the kinston adaptor and have a 32Gb micro sdcard which I store movies on. so it is possible hope but the Nexus 7 tab has to be rooted, hope this helps Nick.