Security Pattern Message

AmitaBeyond

Sep 21, 2021
I haven't used my tablet for awhile, and when I pulled it out there was an unfamiliar message above my security pattern. It says, "For your %1$ssecurity%2$s, draw your pattern". Is this worrisome? Has there been an automatic update recently that I missed seeing because I was incommunicado for a week+?

I am reluctant to enter my pattern and use my tablet until I find out where this curious message came from.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Upon every boot or reboot Android will ask for your pin or pattern lock. Totally normal. I encounter it every time I reboot my Pixel 2 XL after an update to LineageOS.

AmitaBeyond

Sep 21, 2021
Upon every boot or reboot Android will ask for your pin or pattern lock. Totally normal. I encounter it every time I reboot my Pixel 2 XL after an update to LineageOS.
Thanks for the reply. I also have to enter my pattern lock to open my device. Most every time I use it, in fact, but the message is new. On top of that, the symbols and the way it is phrased don't seem right... almost like a "second-language" translation. That's what worried me. If it updated recently, I might expect something new to pop up, but I don't know if it has.

The problem is I know there is malware that can capture keystrokes. I would assume lock patterns can also be captured? Maybe I'm being over-cautious, but I hadn't seen the message before.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Take a picture of the lock screen so we can see what you're referring to?

AmitaBeyond

Sep 21, 2021
Take a picture of the lock screen so we can see what you're referring to?
Thanks. Can't do that now. Wish I'd thought of it initially. I needed to get on the tablet, and as I couldn't find ANYTHING on the phrase anywhere on the net, I finally took a chance. Tablet opened normally and I haven't seen any other unusual behavior, but who knows. Now, after being unlocked once, it is back to its default phrase.

Honestly, though, I'm not sure a picture would have been helpful. It was a completely normal lock screen, except the usual, "Draw unlock pattern" phrase had been replaced with the one above. Same font, same font size, same color, just different words, even after a reboot. I guess time will tell if I made a mistake. Need to see if I can find a good protection program, now.

But thanks for answering. You were the only one who did and I really appreciate it!