Single App Tablet

frogzilla

Nov 23, 2011
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

My Corporation is in need of a single use tablet. A software vendor we are doing business w/ uses the Samsung tablet for their application.

My requirements are this...

1. Tablet starts up to Application
2. Users can not navigate any of the other features. OS or Settings
3. When application hangs it needs to reset itself.
4. There should be a back door so that Technicians can diagnose problems

Any help on this project is greatly appreciated,
Frogz

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Is this something that you are going to be using in terms of handing the tablet to the user each time, or do you need something where the tablet can be issued to a user for a longer period of time. It sounds like what you need is a sort of "startup script" that after boot up loads directly into a specific app, this probably could be done but would require modification of the init.rc, and this would also need to be done I believe in the ramdisk.img file so that would require a completely custom ROM image to be created.

So, can be done yes, but will require a certain level of programming and configuration.

Sent from my gTablet using Android Tablet Forum

bclinger

Aug 11, 2011
Yes on the above response. In addition, it may be viewed as a function of the application and level of security you choose. There are also security applications that restrict user access and frankly, that is the option I would go with. A question though, if you choose such a course of limiting without the possibility of alteration, what happens when something new is identified as "essential?" It does happen. Another thing, after the newness wears off, play time reduces as a factor.