Small Battery Power Drop on A2109!

flashallthetime

Dec 28, 2012
I wouldn't be concerned over a slight drop in the battery, my evo is far worse in giving accurate battery readings, if i go to recovery on my phone,my battery charge will drop a significant amount, and we're not talking a 5% drop but a 20-40% drop, i have had it go the other way too,where it will be a miracle of some unknown force, increase
:) its not 100% accurate

Sent from my HTC Evo 3D GSM using Tapatalk 2

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
I wouldn't be concerned over a slight drop in the battery, my evo is far worse in giving accurate battery readings, if i go to recovery on my phone,my battery charge will drop a significant amount, and we're not talking a 5% drop but a 20-40% drop, i have had it go the other way too,where it will be a miracle of some unknown force, increase
:) its not 100% accurate

Sent from my HTC Evo 3D GSM using Tapatalk 2

OK then guy's I guess I'm just overly jumpy about it then.
I guess I can chalk it up to being like a couple of laptops I've had, for no reason every now and again when I'd start them up the battery maybe at 97% even though it was fully charged when I shut down the night before.
And it would charge to 100% and be fine for awhile then do the something. :rolleyes:

In an event sorry for bothering you.
And Thanks again for all your input: Ricky. :cool:

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
Hey all:

I thought I'd let you know what Lenovo Tech Support had told me.

I actually got someone I could understand ;) And he told me that my tablet's battery was getting to warm and that was why it was shutting down and running on battery.
Now why it didn't do this all the time I have no idea.

But anyway he had asked the usual have to questions, If it charged once the battery was run down, etc etc.
I said yea it had charged and run just fine.

He then asked me if I had it in a case?
I said yea why? Then he asked do you often fold the case back against itself? I again said yes.
Then I told him about my dock that I had made for it.
And he procceded to tell me to cut the back off my case, and to put something behind it while on my dock to hold it out so that air could get behind it
And he said I guarantee it will cool your battery by at least 5 degrees, thus solving your problem.

This made since to me a couple of strips about an 1/8" thick wrapped them in felt and mounted them to my dock.
And of coarse hooked my tablet back up.
So only time will tell if that was the problem or not?

I'll be sure to keep you all updated and let you know how this worked.

Thanks again: Ricky :cool:

OK so here's what has happened.
By me making the modifications as the Tech said to.
It has dropped my average battery temp 2 to 14 degrees F.
14 degrees while surfing, watching videos and the like.
And 2 to 6 degrees while playing games.

While when it gets towards the upper end it still shuts off charging but once I back out of my game and about 5 to 10 minutes later it's fully charged again. It only takes approx 5 minutes for the battery temp to drop 5 degrees after backing out of a game.
Now that I made the modifications as advised.
Where before the temp would get up around 94 to 97 degrees and stay there.
Now it cools off rapidly as it should.

I'm thankful to that Lenovo Tech.
Because if I'd went on as I was I could have driven my new A2109 to an early grave. :(

Last edited:

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
The specified operating temperature range for li-ion batteries is 14 to 122 F. Optimal charging temp range 32 - 104 F. Permanent loss of capacity occurs at > 140 F. That's for generics; some models are made to stand a little more heat or cold. But the physics of the materials limit the ranges to very near those numbers. I don't think your battery was in danger but you may have optimized charging a little. I am going to continue using an intact case full time.

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
OK just to finish off with what I got started I wanted to let everyone know that i got it fixed.
As I said in the others a buddy's friend that he works with she's an Android Freak came over and flashed it to ICS for me.
But before she did that she looked at the code and said there was some extra code there that was causing the problem.
In any event it been fixed and tweaked so I am not complaining.

Thanks again for everything: Ricky :cool: