[SOLVED] Trouble Keeping Music Playing (ME173X)

northpaw

May 21, 2015
New to Android, and I cant figure out or find info on how to keep the MeMo Pad (ME173X) playing music once I set it down on the desk. It stops after 5 min or so.

I am using the app Simple Radio to stream music. I have WIFI set to remain connected during sleep, and I have "Listening to music" set to "normal" in Power Saver. I have also tried with Power Saver off and in Performance mode, where "Keep WIFI on during sleep" is set to "Always". The music stops after 5 min or so with that too.

Is there some other setting I haven't discovered that allows an app such as Simple Radio continue to play after I set the tablet down? Ideally I'd like to set a stream to play, put the tablet down on the desk, and continue to listen unattended, or until the battery gives out. Any suggestions appreciated.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

In my experience with music player it's usually under the control of the app settings. In some cases it very difficult to get them to shut up. ;) TuneIn Radio is one example.

northpaw

May 21, 2015
Thanks for the reply and info. I'm not sure if there are some app settings I haven't discovered yet. I can see some information on them via Settings>Apps>Running and then tapping the app, but nothing adjustable. Also, when looking at the main App page and the "Keep Awake" tab, I can see some behaviors on the app, but no controls that can be adjusted. The Asus manual isn't much help here, unfortunately, nor the FAQ on its website.

This evening I've been running Simple Radio while the charger is connected, and it hasn't cut out yet (been running 20-30 min or so), providing a clue that Power Management is involved in some way. Running with the charger connected is an option for me for most of my intended use, so I can default to that. I will also give TuneIn Radio a try as well.

Thanks again for the tip.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I don't use that app but the settings you would need to check are in the app itself. It may not be capable of staying awake on its own unless plugged in. Don't know.

northpaw

May 21, 2015
Well, I think I got to the bottom of this.

Simple Radio did ultimately cut out, even though the tablet was plugged in. I installed TuneIn Radio and it ran continuously, even when the tablet was not plugged in.

Before uninstalling Simple Radio, I did a comparison of the info available on both apps in their App Info windows. Towards the bottom of those pages, there is a listing of the permissions each app is granted (e.g., read phone status, drain your bank account, rights to your first born, etc. :) I'm new to tablets and Android, and it is just an amazing list). For TuneIn Radio, the longish list includes "prevent tablet from sleeping". Simple Radio had a much shorter list, and did not include that. I did the default installs on both apps (not sure if there was a choice, other than to click accept its terms).

It seems Simple Radio is fine if you are streaming but also continuing to use the tablet for other tasks. I suppose one benefit is that it will not drain your battery if you walk away from the tablet or fall asleep. That is possible with TuneIn Radio, but the app thoughtfully includes a "sleep timer" option.

Thanks again for the tip. TuneIn Radio is much better suited to my particular needs. And I see what you meant when you said about the difficulty in getting it to shut up...