Sony Tablet S - Nothing But Problems

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Tested using Speakeasy - Speed Test

PC with 10/100 v 16.75 Mbps, ^ 1.46 Mbps (inline with ISP)
Nook Color on wifi G Desktop client (Dolphin Mini) using Flash, v 13.92 Mbps, ^ 1.44 Mbps
Nook Color on wifi G Android client (Dolphin Mini) using Flash, v 15.24 Mbps, ^ 1.44 Mbps
Nook Color on wifi G iPad client (Dolphin Mini) using Flash, v 14.63 Mbps, ^ 1.42 Mbps
Nook Color on wifi G iPhone client (Dolphin Mini) using Flash, v 12.54 Mbps, ^ 1.44 Mbps

All in the same range.

Tested using Shaw Speedtest

PC with 10/100 Ping, 156 ms, v 14.8 Mbps, ^ 1.0 Mbps (inline with ISP)
Nook Color on wifi G Desktop client (Dolphin Mini) using Flash, Ping 795, v 3.65 Mbps, ^ 1.01 Mbps (run twice for for consistency)
Nook Color on wifi G Android client (Dolphin Mini) using Flash, Ping 797, v 3.55 Mbps, ^ 1.02 Mbps (v abnormally low first try run again)
Nook Color on wifi G iPad client (Dolphin Mini) using Flash, Ping 796, v 3.75 Mbps, ^ 0.93 Mbps (v test failed on down first try)
Nook Color on wifi G iPhone client (Dolphin Mini) using Flash, Ping 795, v 3.1 Mbps, ^ 0.9 Mbps (v test failed on down first 2 tries)

As suspected, seems there is an issue with mobile using this site. Interestingly the client mode doesn't seem to make a difference.

gadgyt

Dec 11, 2011
I was searching for answers to my Tablet S woes when I came across this thread, got me intrigued, so test the tablets speeds.

In the UK using speedtest.net my tablet gets ping around 30ms, 30Mbps down and 8Mbps up regardless of client, about the same speeds as my laptop.

Using Speakeasy my Tablet gets 6Mbps down, 6Mbps up. Laptop however is reaching over 27Mbps down and over 7Mbps up. Again client doesn't make any difference.

On Shaws my tablet gets ping at 792ms, 4Mbps down, 1Mbps up. Laptop again is faster, ping 325ms, 14Mbps down, 1Mbps up. Client makes no difference.

Not sure if that gives any real answers to your problems but it does show, given my first results, that the tablet is capable of decent speeds but the server makes a big difference.

Right, back to my original quest, why do I have to force close and restart my tablet numerous times a day?

ignazw

Dec 12, 2011
had the same problems. improved indeed after changing router to only g/n mixed mode. thanks for the tips, I had been searching a while already!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Right, back to my original quest, why do I have to force close and restart my tablet numerous times a day?

Did you notice this issue after downloading any particular apps? You might have a bad app which could lead to an issue like this.

jeffinoz

May 31, 2012
G 'day Eric , I am in Australia and have the same problems.
No w, compunded by the new upgrades that went in last night that came directly from Sony.
This morning, my tablet crackles and pops through its speakers like an old analogue TV set.
Also apps. are freezing or iam getting messages especially in the email programs that the program ' has stopped working', and then it crashes.

I have also had problems loading email addresses and have had to take the tablet to Sony.
I also have the wifi connection problems while every other piece of equipment in this flat has no wifi outs.
Add to this its constantly loading and reloading of pages while on a site makes it nearly impossible to use.

I believe this is technology that has been rushed to market and a problem for Sony.
add to this these tablets are not sold in our retail stores anymore and only a visit to Sony will satisfy anyone looking for one.

really annoyed it will not download my music, I have to start from scratch......gggrrrrrr!

ignazw

Dec 12, 2011
had the same problems. improved indeed after changing router to only g/n mixed mode. thanks for the tips, I had been searching a while already!

I finally got rid of the d-link wifi router and now have abrand new sitecom wifi router. Not a single wifi issue anymore! The Sony tablet now flies as it should. Conclusion: there may be some incompatibility issues with older (?) wifi routers.