stalled firmware update?

Boomyal

Dec 2, 2015
I have a Lenovo A1000 tablet which is two years old. It just gave a notice that it needed a firmware update. It warned to be sure not to run out of battery (I have it plugged in) and that it would likely take 30 minutes to do it. I clicked to do it and the tablet switched off, then rebooted to a black screen with 4 lines of text at the top. two of the lines are highlighted in blue and the last two are not. They are as follows:

HQ factory mode (in blue)
Full Test (in blue)
PCBA test (just white text)
HQ item test (just white text)

The tablet has been sitting like that for about an hour with nothing obvious happening.

Any ideas what is going on? Should I just let it sit some more? Should I try to reboot it?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

If it's STILL doing it you're pretty much out of options. You will need to hold the power button until it restarts.

Boomyal

Dec 2, 2015
Welcome to the forum

If it's STILL doing it you're pretty much out of options. You will need to hold the power button until it restarts.

I've held the power button until my finger is blue. It will not shut down,

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Let the battery run down, then plug it into a running PC for at least 5 hours, then try turning it on.

Boomyal

Dec 2, 2015
Let the battery run down, then plug it into a running PC for at least 5 hours, then try turning it on.

Thanks leeshor, I was beginning to think that was going to be my only option, but I googled the subject and found identical issues. One link pointed out a reset button under the SD card cover. It's not real obvious but you poke down one of the little holes beside the card slot and Voila! The laptop shuts down and reboots.

I don't know how mortal man was supposed to know that reset button was there!

All seems to work ok after doing the firmware revision that it never came out of.