Stuck on "Obtaining IP Address"

Dart

May 2, 2011
I wait impatiently for the 23rd hoping for Android 3.1 update and this morning my A500 refuses to obtain an IP address. Keeps saying "Obtaining IP Address". I have rebooted a few times, turned wifi on and off but no luck. Can't even check to see if the update is out there.

Nothing else has changed with my router. All my other wireless devices are connecting like normal.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks guys.

zcostilla

May 13, 2011
had the same issue yesterday. wifi worked fine in the morning, butwhen I got home, it wouldn't connect. rebooted twice, but it wasn't until I reset my router that it synced up to it. off, since our four other compress, two ipods, and two phones were all working justfine on the router. odd.

Dart

May 2, 2011
I'm at work now and it has no problem connecting to wi-fi here. Nothing has changed on our router had home, and all of our other devices connect fine....I guess I will reboot the router when I get home today....

Thanks for the help.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Wait, you haven't even rebooted the router yet, and you posted here?

Why wouldn't that be the SECOND thing you did after rebooting the tablet?

Dart

May 2, 2011
All my other devices connect fine. How would rebooting the router fix the Acer?

Forgive me, I was not aware there was a minimum experience level to post here. is there an entrance test?

QUOTE=Icebike;104663]Wait, you haven't even rebooted the router yet, and you posted here?

Why wouldn't that be the SECOND thing you did after rebooting the tablet?[/QUOTE]

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
All my other devices connect fine. How would rebooting the router fix the Acer?

The acer is not broken, and doesn't need fixing, as you have proven by connecting at work.

Your router has ceased to respond to the Acer's request for an IP, so your router is broken. Its not uncommon. You knew enough to reboot the acer. I'm just astounded you didn't follow thru to the next logical step.

Routers are just software, and all software has bugs.

Those units that have an IP continue to use the IP they were last given, but the IP the acer last was issued may have been given to some other device.

When two pieces of hardware that interact with each other suddenly start failing, basic logic suggests that the problem is just as likely to be on either end. Concentrating all your efforts and all the blame on one device is counterproductive.

androidnewb

Jun 22, 2011
The acer is not broken, and doesn't need fixing, as you have proven by connecting at work.

Your router has ceased to respond to the Acer's request for an IP, so your router is broken. Its not uncommon. You knew enough to reboot the acer. I'm just astounded you didn't follow thru to the next logical step.

Those units that have an IP continue to use the IP they were last given, but the IP the acer last was issued may have been given to some other device.

When two pieces of hardware that interact with each other suddenly start failing, basic logic suggests that the problem is just as likely to be on either end. Concentrating all your efforts and all the blame on one device is counterproductive.

I have to agree with this, I can't tell you how many times I hear about this happening to computers a day. LoL

Dart

May 2, 2011
Thanks for explaining why rebooting the router would be the next logical step. Now that I have the information, yes, it does seem logical. I am not an electronics geek, so had no clue about that. Sorry i astounded you. But thanks for explaining it, I will reboot when I get home and hope for the best.

ibcrusn

Jun 23, 2011
I have the same issue. There are times when it connects straight away and others when it will not connect all, each time I'll be sitting within 20' of the antennas. It's strange because periodically my laptop will not connect either but my POS iphone 3G will and other times it's reversed. I do think it has something to do with the network but unfortunately I cannot reset the routers to test that theory.

2wheelsagain

May 29, 2011
We run an ASUS and a Toshiba laptop along with other smart phones and WiFi printers and its always the 2 laptops fighting fror the same IP address. I should issue static addresses but it's easy fixed by a router reboot

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Nah, don't use static, just surf to your router's configuration pages and use reservations.
That way the router will reserv specific ips for each device and never assign it to any other device.

It only takes one machine on a network using statics to mess up the whole thing.

Cell phones can come on and off the router quickly and often and that can impose a higher load on the router.
Your phone and tablet and your router will be happier and use less battery if you set your wifi sleep policy to never.

2wheelsagain

May 29, 2011
Nah, don't use static, just surf to your router's configuration pages and use reservations.
That way the router will reserv specific ips for each device and never assign it to any other device.

It only takes one machine on a network using statics to mess up the whole thing.

Cell phones can come on and off the router quickly and often and that can impose a higher load on the router.
Your phone and tablet and your router will be happier and use less battery if you set your wifi sleep policy to never.
Good point. Never thought of reservations.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
This happens to me too occasionally (especially when moving from my home's wifi to my school's public wifi).
Try turning your tablet's wifi OFF, wait a few seconds, turn it back ON, and try connecting again.
This usually fixes my problem.

buffaloquinn

May 21, 2011
I've had the stuck obtaining IP address issue also. Usually it is at a public wifi spot where resetting the router is not a privilege I enjoy. Most times it is resolved by turning wifi off and waiting, but sometimes rebooting the tab is required. I've had similar issues with older laptops as well. Sleep mode seems to be the worst culprit. The sleeping device doesn't "officially release the IP address so it thinks it can just pick it back up and that's not always the case, especially on a relatively busy network.
And as someone pointed out, setting a static IP address for any "mobile" unit can cause many problems, particularly if your tab or laptop logs onto many different networks during the course of its travels. I usually avoid static IPs for anything but printers of other network devices like APs or routers.

ranvanp

Jul 7, 2011
This is happening to me too. Both at home and at work. After receiving the update my a500 won't hook up at all...various other computers and phones all function normally.
I've rebooted everything, both at home and work and just get no joy at all.
I'm willing to do a factory reset, (as annoying as that will be) if I knew it would work...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated