Stuck on "Obtaining IP Address"

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I've had the stuck obtaining IP address issue also. Usually it is at a public wifi spot where resetting the router is not a privilege I enjoy. Most times it is resolved by turning wifi off and waiting, but sometimes rebooting the tab is required. I've had similar issues with older laptops as well. Sleep mode seems to be the worst culprit. The sleeping device doesn't "officially release the IP address so it thinks it can just pick it back up and that's not always the case, especially on a relatively busy network.
And as someone pointed out, setting a static IP address for any "mobile" unit can cause many problems, particularly if your tab or laptop logs onto many different networks during the course of its travels. I usually avoid static IPs for anything but printers of other network devices like APs or routers.

What's is your wifi sleep policy?

Linzibee

Oct 19, 2011
I am having the same problems but have re started everything to no avail. I have an acre 7720 that connected to my talktalk wifi fine until 2days ago, now it cannot find the ip address. My phone and iPad connect fine, I've done everything I can think of but not being a tech head, I have obviously missed something, please help, I have a uni assignment to do and I'm panicking!

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I've done everything I can think of but not being a tech head, I have obviously missed something,
]

You have missed something.
You've missed the fact that this is a Android Tablet forum, and no one here will be able to help you with your Windows Laptop.

chopchop

Oct 22, 2011
What's is your wifi sleep policy?

Are you implying that we basically have to leave wifi on all the time for this device? Seems like it will kill battery life quicker. That will suck :(

I am having the same issue as the OP. I had the perpetual "obtaining IP address, authenticating" loop and sent it in to Acer for repair. They updated me to 3.2, and now I have the problem where I will be stuck obtaining an IP address and have to reset my router every time the tablet wakes up.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Are you implying that we basically have to leave wifi on all the time for this device? Seems like it will kill battery life quicker. That will suck :(

I am having the same issue as the OP. I had the perpetual "obtaining IP address, authenticating" loop and sent it in to Acer for repair. They updated me to 3.2, and now I have the problem where I will be stuck obtaining an IP address and have to reset my router every time the tablet wakes up.

Why do you post here if you insist on rejecting every piece of advice you are given?

Wifi disconnect NEVER saves battery, it doesn't use more battery.

Last edited:

chopchop

Oct 22, 2011
Why do you post here if you insist on rejecting every piece of advice you are given?

Wifi disconnect NEVER saves battery, it doesn't use more battery.
Um I wasn't try to reject anyone's advice. I was just trying to figure out why I couldn't connect back to my router with a wifi connection after the tablet woke up from sleep.

I went ahead and tried advice in a different thread and assigned a "Reservation" in my router for my Iconia's IP address. I then set the Iconia to static and put those settings in. It seems to be working so far.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011

The problem is that your tab is grabbing an IP used by another device. What you need to do is leave DHCP on but force your tab to pick another address and remember it. Then you'll find your problems will disappear. Android devices have a quirky issue where sometimes they try to grab an IP used by another device.

If you are still having problems, the sloution is to reset your modem/router to factory default. The solution is found in another thread started by manfred try that and follow the instructions given by Icebike and myself. The forum is there for all to read and the info is available. Chances are that someone else has had the problem and someone has provided a solution that could solve yours. Conflicting IPs are the most common faults with wired and wireless networks.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
We run an ASUS and a Toshiba laptop along with other smart phones and WiFi printers and its always the 2 laptops fighting fror the same IP address. I should issue static addresses but it's easy fixed by a router reboot
What I suggested on another thread is that you make sure you have a hardcopy of the settings in your router/modem. Do a factory default on your router, re-enter all the settings into your router, then connect all your wired devices. leave them on and connected. Then connect your wireless devices one by one and leave them connected. Lastly, boot your A500 and get it to find the network. The tab will remember the connection.
This a summarised version.:rolleyes:

chopchop

Oct 22, 2011
The problem is that your tab is grabbing an IP used by another device. What you need to do is leave DHCP on but force your tab to pick another address and remember it. Then you'll find your problems will disappear. Android devices have a quirky issue where sometimes they try to grab an IP used by another device.

If you are still having problems, the sloution is to reset your modem/router to factory default. The solution is found in another thread started by manfred try that and follow the instructions given by Icebike and myself. The forum is there for all to read and the info is available. Chances are that someone else has had the problem and someone has provided a solution that could solve yours. Conflicting IPs are the most common faults with wired and wireless networks.

How do you do that? The only way I know to enter an IP address for the tablet is to switch from DHCP to static.

I am getting quite frustrated with this Acer, which is unfortunate because I've had good luck with my desktop and Acer timelineX laptop :( I sent it off to Acer tech support and they "fixed" it by updating it to 3.2 Still having the same issues though.

billyblob302

Nov 5, 2011
I've tried everything and was about ready to give up, BUY NEW ROUTER w/(linksys) by Cisco or an other which links all your phones ,tv's, PC's, laptops, etc. Connect them all b4 tablet setup and then you will have no problem if if u download ur Acer setup 1st on your home PC or laptop. U can walk through the house and change the channel on ALL YOUR TV'S AND BROADCAST/RECIEVE VIA BLUETOOTH IF UR N RANGE OF ANYBODY...all the diff. N da world

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
How do you do that? The only way I know to enter an IP address for the tablet is to switch from DHCP to static.

I am getting quite frustrated with this Acer, which is unfortunate because I've had good luck with my desktop and Acer timelineX laptop :( I sent it off to Acer tech support and they "fixed" it by updating it to 3.2 Still having the same issues though.
Go into your settings to your network wireless settings. There should be a list of all the wireless networks your tablet has connected to. Select the one that is not working/ the one you're having trouble with. Tell the tablet to forget this network. Reboot tablet. Go back into settings and get it to search for available networks. select yours and you'll be required to enter the pass key. At this point you should be able to see the current IP address selected. It is at this point that you can force another IP address and the tablet will remember this address even though DHCP is on.

By the way make sure your WPA key is correct as this will do the sme thing -obtaining IP...

This is what I did when I had the same problem at the office.

chopchop

Oct 22, 2011
Go into your settings to your network wireless settings. There should be a list of all the wireless networks your tablet has connected to. Select the one that is not working/ the one you're having trouble with. Tell the tablet to forget this network. Reboot tablet. Go back into settings and get it to search for available networks. select yours and you'll be required to enter the pass key. At this point you should be able to see the current IP address selected. It is at this point that you can force another IP address and the tablet will remember this address even though DHCP is on.

By the way make sure your WPA key is correct as this will do the sme thing -obtaining IP...

This is what I did when I had the same problem at the office.

The only way I can see a window where I can change the IP and other settings if if I switch DHCP to Static on the tablet.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
If you have 3.2 you should still be able to refresh the IP and select another with DHCP STILL ON. That is tha way you can get to select another IP . Are you sure you've the pass key right?

Meaney

Nov 9, 2011
When the Tab is trying to Obtain the IP address do a soft reset by placing a pin into the reset hole. Do this only when it is trying to obtain the ip address. Do it three times and you should be fine.

chopchop

Oct 22, 2011
If you have 3.2 you should still be able to refresh the IP and select another with DHCP STILL ON. That is tha way you can get to select another IP . Are you sure you've the pass key right?

It seems I have that option once I've obtained an IP address. I was able to connect to an outside unsecured network without a problem today. When I got back home, I was stuck with the "obtaining IP address" bug again