Tablet for 10 yr old Boy for gaming?? Any good?

mogulman

Nov 18, 2011
OK... so my son, 10, has had a Nintendo DSi for a while now. This year he really wants an ipad (too expensive), so I was thinking of getting him an android tablet.

I have an ipad 2. My wife has an android 2.2 phone.

Price range max is probably around $250..

I was thinking a 7" tablet might be better for a 10 year old also...more portable and easier for him to hold..

I guess his main use would be...in order of preference:
1. Games
2. movies
3 Internet
4 reading

The questions I have:
I guess I'm wondering if there are a lot of decent games for Android tablets? I know he likes the games on my ipad 2.

If there are decent games.. any suggestions on a 7" tablet?
Things I'm thinking about: Kindle Fire, Nook Tablet, Lenovo A1 or maybe an Acer Iconia A100 (If I can find it cheap enough).... Not sure which would be the best for gaming though....

If the selection of games for the Tablets just aren't there yet.. I guess we are looking at an Ipod Touch or Nintendo 3DS (I hate the cartridges though)...

Any help would be greatly appreciated... I've done a lot of looking on the internet, but none of the reviews really focus on gaming...

Angus66

Oct 17, 2011
I don't have an answer for you as I'm also looking for a tablet for my 9 1/2 year old son (who also currently uses a Nintendo DSi for gaming).

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
All of those are good choices. You can go to either of the links below to check out games. There are plenty of games for tablets although they may not be optimized for the tablets (basically just blown up phone versions). General tablets are not true gaming devices though so if you are looking for a dedicated gaming machine they are not the way to go.

If your son is happy with angy birds, bubble burst and the like then tablets will work. There are a few high end games as well but not like dedicated gaming devices (that will change in a few years though to be sure).

https://market.android.com/apps/GAME

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=2478844011

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
OK... so my son, 10, has had a Nintendo DSi for a while now. This year he really wants an ipad (too expensive), so I was thinking of getting him an android tablet.

I have an ipad 2. My wife has an android 2.2 phone.

Price range max is probably around $250..

I was thinking a 7" tablet might be better for a 10 year old also...more portable and easier for him to hold..

I guess his main use would be...in order of preference:
1. Games
2. movies
3 Internet
4 reading

The questions I have:
I guess I'm wondering if there are a lot of decent games for Android tablets? I know he likes the games on my ipad 2.

If there are decent games.. any suggestions on a 7" tablet?
Things I'm thinking about: Kindle Fire, Nook Tablet, Lenovo A1 or maybe an Acer Iconia A100 (If I can find it cheap enough).... Not sure which would be the best for gaming though....

If the selection of games for the Tablets just aren't there yet.. I guess we are looking at an Ipod Touch or Nintendo 3DS (I hate the cartridges though)...

Any help would be greatly appreciated... I've done a lot of looking on the internet, but none of the reviews really focus on gaming...

Hi mogulman,
How do you think about this 7" tablet PC in our site: 7 Inch High Resolution 1024*600 Capacitive Screen Android 2.3 Tablet PC with TI ARM CORTEX A8 Processor Built in Bluetooth - China Electronics Wholesale - Consumer Electronics Gadgets Dropship From China
you can find more decent 7" tablet PC in our site, hope you can find what you want there, welcome!:)